Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another pizza cook

Options
sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Way back on Feb. 9th, AZGator came over to witness pizza cooking BGE style at my house...seems odd that I'd have more experience at anything on the BGE, since he introduced it to me, but that just exemplifies how diverse a cooker this is. (I need to go watch him do brisket, 'cause mine ain't nothing special, but his is pretty dang good.)[p]In the morning, I whipped up two batches of dough from scratch, which yields 4 12" pizzas. I used a cornmeal dough that has 2 cups flour and 3/4 cups cornmeal. The dough was mixed and kneeded, and then allowed to rise through the afternoon in the fridge.[p]When AZGator arrived, I had just started preparing the first pizza, which was rolled out, and ready for sauce/toppings. Here's a photo of how that pizza looked, as it was ready for the BGE:[p]image-display?photo_id=586959&size=lg[p]As you can see it's right near 12" wide. You can also see my very low quality peel. Anyway, after cooking for about 6 minutes in the BGE, with a dome temp pretty close to 650 (my preferred pizza temp), here was the result:[p]image-display?photo_id=586957&size=lg[p]The crust was crispy. The cheese was melted. The canadian bacon had some curled edges. Everything was darn near perfect...and I personally ate this one 'til there was nothing left.[p]Subsequently we made a cheese and 2 pepperonis. The middle two were slightly overcooked, as a result of allowing the dome temp to get too high (at or above 700), and my being diverted when the phone rang a couple times. With a 4-5 minute cook, it doesn't take much distraction to go from crispy to burnt.[p]AZGator liked my sauce, which is good and bad. The bad part is that I don't really follow a recipe, so I can't repeat it next time. The good part is that I've still got enough left in the freezer to do 4 more pizzas.[p]In all we had a great afternoon blasting the BGE at high temps for close to 2 hours...I took the chance to really clean out everything, What wasn't charred (the middle two were only slightly charred on about 25% of the bottom) was some wonderful pizza.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb