Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Game Hen or little chickens?

ravnhaus
ravnhaus Posts: 311
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally had the chance to grill a couple of Cornish Game Hens and results were quite favorable. For a brief photo essay follow the link provided.
Thank you so much for comments on previous photo endeavors!
John

[ul][li]Cornish Game Hens[/ul]

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    ravnhaus, Those hens (by any name) look absolutley wonderful. You did an awesome job.
    I think that is what I am going to fix when I present my (soon to be 30) son his new BGE on his birthday March 3.[p]Marv

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    ravnhaus,
    Your pictures are incredible. Now picture this...mouse dangling next to my computer, me running down the hall from my office, slamming door, and racing home to fire up Mr Big. Dang, your pictures make me hungry!! Thanks for posting.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• ravnhaus, how did you get them that color?[p]Think I'll try them this evening.

• ravnhaus
    char buddy ,
    Pure luck. I guess the oil from the Italian combined with a fairly high dome heat seared the color right in. If I had not checked it when I did the color would have been more to the black side of the spectrum.
    John

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    ravnhaus,
    Wonderful as always, did you use any chips,did you open the egg to flip or just left them in for the whole time???
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• ravnhaus,[p]Nice! :) Say, what did you use for wood spice ?[p]That is like a cherry red color in the photo... is that the true color ? I have not had that color develop yet for me ... what kind of italian dressing ? [p]Sorry for all the questions :) grin ... but curious. [p]Happy Egging .. BB

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    ravnhaus,[p]Congratulations. Those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing the enjoyment.[p]BTW, a game hen is a chicken, bred to grow to a small size.[p]Spin
  • ravnhaus
    BB,
    Always use oak chunks. The color is real, no photshop magic there. Do not really know why it turned out that way but I belive the fairly high heat and oil from the Italian (Wishbone) sort of seared the color in. As I stated in a previous reply if I had come and checked a little later the color would have been more to the black end of things.

• ravnhaus
    New Bob,
    Oak chips and I did not flip them at all.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    ravnhaus,
    I was just looking at your pictures again, what was your indirect setup???????? (what is your drip pan sitting on)
    New Bob

• ravnhaus
    New Bob,
    I guess it is a semi-indirect. The drip pan is on the lower grill. Two upright bricks setting on the lower grill hold the cooking (upper) grill. There is no brick between the cooking grill, drip pan and the fire.
    The higher heat that surrounded the hens colored them nicely though only good luck and random timing led to them being pulled before over-charring would have began.

• ravnhaus,
    If those pictures don't make you want to go out and get some little chickens you better check your pulse. Wow.
    Elder Ward

• Elder Ward, I went out and got some little chickens after seeing those photos. I put a little cherry wood on the fire and put some of Mrs. Dog's Cranberry stuff on top at the end. I still couldn't quite the color ravnhaus got on his, but the chicks turned out great. If I had it to do over again I would have brined the little hens. [p]CB
  • char buddy,
    Amen for the brine.
    Elder Ward