Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven recipes

hawkegg
hawkegg Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just seasoned the BGE dutch oven I got for X-mas. Does anyone have killer recipes for it. IE stus, or soups. I did go to a dutch oven site that had several but it listed how many briquets to put under and on top of the oven. How do you convert to egg temp.
Scott

Comments

• hawkegg,[p]Dern Good Chili a la Big Green Egg[p]I made this chili last night. My guests raved about it, saying it was the best chili they had ever had in their life (and they are a tough crowd). Said I should enter a contest, but I know I never will. They all asked for the recipe, but none have and Egg (yet). So I thought I’d share what I did here. Let me know what you think. [p]2 lbs cheap beef (pot roast cut) – coated with Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks
    2 lbs boneless pork ribs – coated with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin[p]Roasted at 275, indirect with inverted plate setter and drip pan with water, until 160. Let rest then cubed.[p]While roasting meat, put 6 large roma tomatoes on 3 Anaheim peppers on the ‘exposed’ sides of the plate setter set-up so they were charred black on all sides (not all at once, of course due to room, but one after the other). Pulled, peeled and chopped.[p]Also, while roasting meat, combined 6 T chili powder, 2 T ground cumin. 1 T Hungarian paprika, 2 t beef bullion powder, 2 t oregano, 2 t sugar and 1 T ground coriander.[p]Also while roasting meat, chopped two med onions and 6 cloves of garlic and slow cooked in dutch oven for about 10 min. Then poured 2 bottles of beer – one domestic (MGD) and one foreign stout in dutch oven. Added spices and brought to a boil. Added tomatoes, peppers and meat. Put in the Egg with dutch oven lid ON at 200. Let simmer for about 3 hours. [p]30 min before serving threw several dry pieces of mesquite in the Egg and took the dutch oven lid OFF. Let smoke.[p]Pulled dutch oven off egg and stirred in the juice of one large lime and about ½ cup of sour cream into the chili.[p]Served with sliced green onion, halved grape tomatoes, sliced avocado, sour cream and cheddar cheese.[p]One guest called me this morning to tell me she dreamed about it last night.

• hawkegg,[p]I, too, got a dutch oven for Christmas. I will probably look to season it tomorrow. The rainy weather in Atlanta has delayed this a bit.[p]However, I did initiate a post on this the other day and was given this website. Check it out.[p]http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/[p]I found it interesting because I am completely ignorant on using a dutch oven[p]Happy Holidays,
    Greg

• Hawkegg,

Beer Brats are Easy AND Good! Throw Brats (or sausage) in beer cook. Sear after if you so desire...

Cheers...JerryD

20071123%20Beer%20Brats.JPG

My BGE Personal Website
  • East Cobb Eggy,
    I have played on that site to. Lots of useful info. How do you convert temp when they tell you 12 briquettes on bottom 6 on top. I suppose you can judge med/high.

• hawkegg,[p]I am not too sure on the translation either.[p]I think I was just looking at it for recipes of what to cook and not really temps and times.[p]However when I did make my last post, I was told not to use the cover on the dutch oven. It would be like "showering with a rain coat".[p]I think I will take this advice since everyone in the house likes the smoke flavor and always seem to want me to add more.[p]Greg
  • hawkegg,[p]What are you trying to cook? [p]Kent
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    hawkegg, You might try this site and download the free, cast iron cookbook.

[ul][li]Cast Iron Cook Book[/ul]
  • hawkegg,
    Happy new year. Try your Betty Crocker cookbook. On your Egg or with briquettes in the open you can make just about anything in a Dutch Oven. As with anything else, the first couple of tries might turn out interesting but you gotta start somewhere.