Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question...

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to try a hot fast butt cook to see how it would turn out.[p]It took an hour to go from 181 to 191, it has taken. I was thinking I would be about done with the plateau by this temp.[p]It has taken 1 1/2 hours to go from 191 to 193 sometimes bouncing to 194 (+2.5° to 3°).[p]I am at 6:10 hours now. Grid temp is still 170° higher than the meat.[p]I am wondering if the plateau charastics would change in a hight temp cook, or if it is just this paticular piece of meat.[p]My original goal was to pull at 200° then rest. I wondering if I should pull and rest at 193/194°[p]On low and slow I pull somewhere between 195 and 200 meat temp.[p][p]

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    Not sure Kent. Never tried a hot and fast. I use to try Hot and Fast but my wife would slap me. Never mind wrong forum for that stuff. [p]I think you going to get to 200 with the carry over. Let us know???[p]Mike

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mike in Abita,[p]I am now at 6:30 hours into the cook. Neat temp still at 193. The cook seems like I am in the plateau but that is almost 20° higher than in my l&s cooks.[p]I intended on this being a test so I guess just hold on to 200°[p]I haven't opened the dome but putting my hand over the top vent for a short while it sure smells great. I could be drying out the meat and get a good smell though.[p]I guess I follow my own advice to others and wait - it is done when it is done.[p]I am going to go out and check the pit temp and then thermopen the butt to make sure the q2 meat probe is not in some kind of pocket...[p]Kent

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I smoke a lot of Boston Butts on my BGE...many of which are for my wife's catering business...Did 7 last weekend on two LG BGEs....I run my dome temps 285 - 300...always indirect....And luckily (I guess)they always come out nicely even smoking them at higher temps that the 'sexy' 225 tems that's completely unnecessary..thanks to the 'magic' of the BGE....[p]My point is that I cook them at higher temps...success always good...But I don't see the extended 'plateau' that you talk about when it comes to Boston Butts...Mine (seemingly) always climb gradually to their intended temperature destination...I see long plateaus in briskets...but not in Butts....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Ed, I appreciate your coments. [p]This got me wondering if about a plateau with butts. I had a very slow temp climb from about 180° to 200°.[p]After my last post above I went out and thermopen'd the eat and it was at 200 - 202° depending where I probed.[p]This cook took 6 to 7 hours, I possibly could have pulled in 5 hours as I am thinking the meat probe was in some kind of pocket and wasn't reading corectly. My dome was at 400° and grid temp was 370°. I foiled the butt at 160°[p]I let rest a very short time.[p]I am quite surprised about the results. This was the niar tender butt I have ever cooked the meat was 'fall' apart. Possibly the piece of meat rather than so much the cook time/temp.[p]Again, thanks. Kent