Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Forum switch-over time

WMK
WMK Posts: 1,747
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone,[p]I've noticed some issues lately with folks posting as whomever they feel like; and, also with slow response times -- among others.[p]I know that some, even many, of ya'll are quite happy with this forum's layout; however, this software, as some have occasionally mentioned, is VERY old. It was written back in the days when volume was low, and mischief makers had better things to do. We really do need to upgrade the forum software.[p]We've already spent quite a bit of time customizing an existing, more "modern", forum package to appear, for those that prefer, VERY similar to this one; but no doubt a few differences are still apparent. And, yes we've seen the other, even more "modern" forums as well -- we chose this one for various reasons, and as already stated, spent quite a bit of time "tuning" to our (pronounced, "your") needs; so, for better or for worse, this is the one.[p]You can find the "test version" of the new forum here: http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=showcat&catid=1&Itemid=103. We are still working to improve it, but as far as I'm concerned, it is ready to go as is (i.e. we can continue our improvements, or fixes, live). Please take a few minutes to a) ensure that, if you wish, your registration is activated; and, b) to peruse the new forum. Unfortunately, any posts you make over there will not show up back on this forum; but please try posting a test or two anyway -- just be aware that they only show up on the new forum.[p]The new software does not require a periodic archive; so, it will not get progressively slower as volume increases. Additionally, we have added a "security graphic" for "guests" to post which makes it more difficult for automated "SPAM" folks to get their junk on our forum.[p]A "guest" is anyone is not registered with the new site. Registration is *not* required to post, but posting is a bit easier for registered members; and, registration permits us to prevent others from posting as you.[p]We have plans to add, as time permits, more benefits for registered members as well (e.g. posting pictures, w/out the need for "photobucket"); so stay tuned.[p]Thanks in advance for your support of our efforts to improve our forum,
WMK

Comments

• WMK,[p]Two things:[p]* Yipee!
    * Can you provide a link so I don't have the C&P that big honking URL?

• WMK,
    Thank you for ALL you do. I will try to find the new forum and if so do a test post.
    Tom

• WMK
    Jeffersonian,[p]Sure, try New Forum[p]Note: that when the switch-over is complete, all will be on eggheadforum, but for testing purposes, we've used a different domain name.[p]WMK
  • WMK,
    I'm about as "old-fart"ish as it gets when it comes to this forum, but man, I'm ready to go. Flip the switch! Thanks for all you do![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    WMK,
    just tried posting over there, after several attempts after logging in, i find i still have to post as a guest. any ideas why. logged in, entered email adress, checked the handle box, and still need to enter the code, alot to do to post. my handle shows up as logged in in the box on the left

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WMK,
    Any idea when the last day for this format will be?[p]Mike

• WMK
    fishlessman,[p]Okay, we'll check it out. It's been awhile since anybody tried probably, so there may be a couple of "glitches" to work out.[p]WMK

• WMK
  • WMK
    Another test already logged in.
  • WMK
    fishlessman,[p]I posted using the "inline" login which did succeed, but the response was not what I'd like to see -- we'll fix that. And, then posted again, already logged in, and there was no graphic. Both posts showed up as expected.[p]I did notice that the links to the "new forum" and "your message" after posting on the old forum, are not correct anymore. This is due to the domain name changes that occurred a while back -- we'll fix that too.[p]WMK
  • WMK,

Like Fishless, I'm still having trouble logging in. It tells me that the log in name or password is wrong.

Do I understand you correctly that you want us to start posting over here?
  • A couple observations. I love that all the responses to a post are right below it and I don't have to do that back and forth thing.

It's very slow. Very very slow.

The type is teeny tiny. Much smaller than the type on the rest of my computer. Is there some way I can change that, just for this site. I don't need the rest of my computer to get bigger type! Am I the only one with the small type issue? It may be something in my computer. A month or so ago, the type on my email got big all of the sudden and I can't get it to get back to nomal.

I think this new forum will be great, and an improvement, when we get it going.

I cannot wait to be able to post photos without going thru the photobucket routine! Oh, wait, is that feature already up and running? Testing...

Gwen
  • WMK,
    I just signed in and clicked on the forums tab on the left and went to a forum page and got this:[p]Notice: Duplicate entry '15078' for key 1; query=insert into mos_sb_users (userid,view) values ('15078','classic'), trace= /home/mybge/public_html/components/com_simpleboard/simpleboard.php:258 /home/mybge/public_html/index.php:198 in /home/mybge/public_html/includes/database.php on line 195
    _PROBLEM_CREATING_PROFILE
    Notice: Duplicate entry '15078' for key 1; query=INSERT INTO mos_sb_sessions (userid,allowed,lasttime,readtopics) values (15078, 'na', 1198862738,''), trace= /home/mybge/public_html/components/com_simpleboard/simpleboard.php:279 /home/mybge/public_html/index.php:198 in /home/mybge/public_html/includes/database.php on line 195[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WMK,
    as the whiz said "pull the switch" cause i'm in too. looks to be a good compromise of newer technology for the living and properties of the old forum for those that believe color tv's might never catch on. [p]however several months ago i created a username and password at that site. i have forgotten my password. i just tried the "forgot password" routine. i haven't received an email with the password yet. is that function working?

• I, too, have the tiny type.

I do like what I (can) see! Well done!

Bill
  • WMK,
    I like the new forum.

• WMK,
    It is slower than molasses. Otherwise I like it a lot![p]Gwen

• WMK,[p]Yes I agree we need a forum that does not let other mess with profiles, so I am all for it.[p]In the mean time (I sent you an email so you know it is me) please remove my profiles:[p]Lost in Utah
    Lost in utah[p]

• WMK
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Thanks TNW. These types of errors sometimes occur after long idle times -- does it persist? If so, I can delete that "session" row manually.[p]WMK
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    WMK,[p]Using a Mac, some of the functions on the new site won't work with Safari.[p]I learned that awhile ago when the new site was first introduced to us, and had to relearn it again today.[p]Thanks, WMK. Both for your continued efforts and for making the decision to switch. These past few days have been awful, and I hope the switch will provide some relief.[p]Switching to Firefox resolved the issues.[p]On with the show!!![p]DD
  • WMK
    markkal123,[p]Yes, I just tested that function and it is working as long as you remember your userid, which may not be the same as your handle, and your email must still be the same as when you registered.[p]If not, I can change it manually for you.[p]WMK

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    WMK,
    Just pleast no off topic subforum as the topics that will insue WILL lead to some serious bad blood. OT- is and continues to be an appropriate clue as to the nature of the post.[p]H

• Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    WMK,
    It's slow, why??? [p]John

• WMK
    Dimple's Mom,[p]There's a lot of people banging on it at the moment; so, it may be a bit slower than "normal". However, I've been hearing the same complaints about the old forum as well. There is a difference though, currently on the new forum, you may not see even the first few messages until the entire page is downloaded. We may be able to address this in the future.[p]WMK
  • WMK,
    I registered so many months ago that I have forgotten what I used. [p]Could you please delete all my information and I will re-enter it?[p]Thanks Mike

• WMK,[p]I tried logging in, and got the "Incorrect username or password"
    message. When I tried the "Lost your password?" link, I got
    "Sorry, no corresponding user was found"
    So, I attempted to create a new account, using that username.
    I get "Username/password already in use."[p]Grrr.......[p]Frank

• WMK,
    I just moved to a different PC, logged in, clicked on the forum tab and got the same message. I logged out and then back in and it went away, it seems. Thanks![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    WMK,
    That looks like it's going to be a winner. I'm sure the speed issue is only temporary. I do miss seeing the poster's "IP' and platform info..........