Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your Favorite Crock Pot Recipe

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
we got a new slow cooker an actual Crock-Pot. does anyone have anything they really like in their slow cooker?[p]
here is one that i like[p]Stuffed Pork Chops[p][p]4 double pork loin chops (well trimmed)
1 can (12 oz.) whole-kernel corn, drained
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup uncooked long-grain converted rice
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce[p]
Cut pocket in each chop, cutting from the edge almost to the bone. Lightly season in each pocket with salt and pepper. In bowl, combine remaining ingredients except pork chops and tomato sauce. Pack vegetable mixture into pockets. Secure along fat side with wooden picks.[p]Pour any remaining vegetable mixture into slow cooker. Moisten top surface of each chop with tomato sauce. Add stuffed pork chops to slow cooker stacking to fit if necessary. Pour any remaining tomato sauce on top cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours until done.[p]To serve, remove pork chops to heatproof platter and mound vegetable-rice mixture in center[p]Makes 4 servings[p]Source: Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes
Copyright 1998 Publications international
Pg210[p][p]thanks[p]
happy eggin
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    BENTE, talking about crock. Augusta's CBS station is showing the Chargers and Raiders in the east of the country. I now have to go and watch it in a smoky bar.[p]By the way I like beef Strogonoff in the crock pot. Just a thought, if I find an old crock pot at a garage sale could I not use it on the egg (low and slow. I can't afford the 200-300 dutch ovens.[p]Happy New Year,
    Joe

• BENTE
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    crock pot on the egg too funny joe!!!![p]i will be watching fro the comfort of my chair!!! man i like direct tv!![p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    BENTE,
    This is one of my favorites. It's straight from the Rival Crock pot recipe page.[p]French Beef Bourguignon

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
    2 cups carrots, cut into thin pieces about 4-inches in length
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
    14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 cup white button mushrooms, chopped
    1 cup dry red wine
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
    1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons flour

Directions: [p]Coat roast with salt and pepper. Apply a good coating of flour and brown in a CI skillet. Once browned, place roast in crock pot and add all other ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until roast falls apart. Serve with either rice or mashed potatoes.[p]Mike

• BENTE
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    that looks promising!! we are getting ready to go to the publix and do some shopping and the wife says i am going to cook something in the new crock-pot so i am going to see what she thinks of some of the responses[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BENTE,
    This is a good one Terry.
    Larry[p]Golfer's Crockpot Pot Roast
    From Diana Rattray,
    Your Guide to Southern Food.

This pot roast is first marinated then cooked in the slow cooker with potatoes and carrots.
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 c. water
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    1/2 cup Bourbon
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 pot roast, about 4 pounds
    4 to 6 medium potatoes, quartered
    2 medium onions
    4 to 6 carrots
    salt and pepper to taste
    PREPARATION:
    In a nonreactive container, combine water, soy sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, bourbon, and Worcestershire sauce. Add roast to marinade; turn to coat with marinade. Marinate roast in refrigerator overnight. Next morning, peel vegetables and cut into chunks. Place vegetables in slow cooker. Add pot roast and 1/2 cup marinade. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours. Now go enjoy your day at the golf course.

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    YB, what makes you think Terry can golf. Larry, have a healthy and prosperous New Year. Joe

• BENTE
    Options
    YB,
    that looks good!!!![p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE,[p]I like chili verde. [p]Put a pork roast (diced) into crock pot. Let it cook all day until tender. About an hour to an hour and a half before you are ready to serve, dump a can of green chili sauce into the crock pot along with canned taters and any other spices. serve with warm flour tortillas.[p]I prefer to put spices and sauces into my crock pot about an hour before serving.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Ahhh, crock pot cookin.[p]The list doesn't end. Almost everything you cook in your egg (tht will fit in a crock pot) will work... or was that someone said to me about the egg. (about the egg - true by the way - but you know that)[p]Stews, soups, pot roasts, country style ribs, chili, chliverdi, swiss steak, salisbury steak, boston baked beans, boston baked beans and franks, knockwurst/braughtwurst, german potato salid, all types of scalloped potatoes and the list goes on and on.[p]To date my preference is oven/stove, crock pot and best for last the egg.[p]You will like the corck pot for cookin though. 'Spoon Roasts' (so tender you can cut with a spoon) turn out especially good. [p][p]For me, it all tastes better in the egg. I have been going the other way, crock pot recipes to the egg.

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Steeler Fan, If you talking about the crock pot insert, I think it would survive OK, as under normal use, it gets rather hot. What you might be concerned with is the lid, especially if it's like mine; made of glass with a plastic (synthetic) lifting knob. How about a cast iron dutch oven? A good number of Eggers cook with them. Good luck![p]
    Rascal

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    steeler fan,
    I quit playing golf but I still eat pot roast Joe.hahaha...Happy New Year to you and your bride.
    Larry

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    BENTE,
    If you have a Wegmans nearby. I made their asian short ribs and they got high praise. Very simple too

[ul][li]http://www.wegmans.com/greatMeals/recipes/frameset.asp?recipe=7662&url=displayrecipe.asp&direct=false[/ul]
  • Caveman Smoker,
    sounds interesting!![p]thanks[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

• BENTE
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    i have had one for years but nmot a real "Crock-Pot" i always ended up with a one from k-mart's blue light special that was made by BOB's Kitchen Supply Wharehouse out of No Where North Dakota.....[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    TomM24,
    thanks i will have to try them!![p]
    do not have a wegman's but i think i will be able to adapt.....[p][p]thanks again [p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BENTE,[p]This place is getting too big... I wish all I had was a Bob's Kitchen Supply Warehouse! LOL[p]Crock-Pot clarification? Do you mean a crock-pot that would/could be used for burrying in the ground.[p]OR[p]The 'K-Mart' special type. Rival brand or something like that?[p]The 'real' old crock-pots, never used, I always used Dutch Ovens.[p]The 'K-Mart' type we have used a lot until the egg.[p]I am just about ready to offer a sacrifice of a Le Creuset 16 qt to the Egg Gods.[p]One 9# ham smoked on day one. Day 2 6# of beans and the entire smoked ham with some celery, carrots, potatoes and beans for what I expect will be to be a 12 to 15 hour cook in the large egg.[p]These are going to be fantastic bean soup.
  • BENTE
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    i have not done the beans in the egg yet.... alot of new stuff to try with my dutch oven...[p]not a crock pot to bury or make sour crout but one that has the name Crock-Pot actually on it.. i have had a couple with plastic tops and very few settings this new one we got for christmas is one of the real "Crock-Pot" (registered trademark) ones!![p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BENTE,[p]Now that is funny. Guess what, Mine is a 'Crock-Pot', I never knew that. I thought it was a different brand.[p]Other than the egg, you will love it. Try the Spoon Roast. It is a meat, stock (or water - stock is better) vegies and let it cook long until the meat will pull with a spoon.[p]No need to season heavily as in effect you will be cooking in liquid.[p]The roast turns out to be a great meal, use some of the luiquid for gravy stock.[p]Before the egg my long cook beans were mostly done in the crock-pot. I do like the addes smoke flavor with the egg. [p]I guess I could accomplish somewhat the same by adding liquid smoke to the crock-pot, something I have never tried.[p]With the ham hock and beans we soak the beans the night/day before the cook then sort the beans.[p]The next night late we put the ham hocks, beans vegies into the crock-pot and let it cook until the next day some time. At the end of the cook we pull the bone and the meat will fall off. [p]From there we eat for lunch and continue cooking for dinner. This ends up being close to a 18 hour cook on low or up to medium at the end.[p]My only guide for being done is when the water (in the case of ham hock and beans) turns brown. From there it just thickens.[p]Don't add salt until the end of the cook.[p]One word of caution. with our last 16qt crock-pot the soup wasn't getting done in time and I decided to put the internal pot into the oven. Turned the heat to 300°. About 1/2 hour later I heard a pop and 16qts of soup was in the bottom of the oven. [p]I have also broken a pot by putting it on a cold surface.[p]Other than that, like the egg it is pretty hard to screw up the cook.[p]Let us know how the cook turns out. I am sure with your experience you will come up with some good eats.[p]Kent
  • BENTE
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    thanks!![p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Dawgtired
    Options
    steeler fan,
    Your ex-coach is moving in down the street from me. Anything you want me to pass along to him?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    These start out in the oven, but great for parties. Terry search recipe type for crock pot.

Appetizer, Ham Balls, Spiced, 200, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    6 1/2 Lbs. Smoked Ham, Coarse Ground
    3 Lbs. Sausage, Bulk
    4 8 Oz. cans Waterchestnuts, Chopped
    5 Small Onions, Diced
    3 Tbs. Liquid Smoke
    3 Tbs. Durkee Hot Sauce
    3 Tbs. Pepper, White
    3 Tbs. Mustard, Dry
    8 Whole Eggs
    1 Cup Milk
    2 Tbs. Salt
    8 Cups Bread Crumbs
    SAUCE
    2 1/2 Cups Sugar, Brown
    3 Tbs. Dry Mustard
    1 Cup Water
    1 Cup Vinegar
    1 Cup Rum, Meyer

Procedure:
    1 Mix all, make into 1/2 dollar size meat balls. Place on baking dish with raised rack and coat with sauce. Bake 350°F for 1 hour.
    2 Drain and discard liquid. Make a second batch of sauce and place in crock pot with meat balls. Makes about 200 balls.

Yield: 200 meatballs

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Crock Pot, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, 02

Source: Richard Howe, 2002/05/25
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Here's a couple of mine..

http://www.recipezaar.com/33671

Use this one too, but only 1/2 of italian dsg mix and 1/2 of ranch dsg mix. It's a little too salty if you use the wholes packages. This makes a good beef manhatten.
    http://www.recipezaar.com/27208

Oh yes, a word of warning, a lot of the new crockpots cook hotter than the old ones. So if you notice recipes burning, blame the gov for making new standards for the crockpots low temps. :angry: