Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The egg was smokin today and a pic of my pizza server

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_5081.jpg
<p />Started out with smokin cheese this mornin. This will go into Christmas gift baskets. Ho Ho Ho [p]Then I made sauerkraut dinner,.... that's soul food. Country style ribs bone in, beer, Bavarian seasoning, onion, cracked pepper, Bavarian style kraut and to finish I made spoon drop dumplings, oh boy, was it ever good.

IMG_5085.jpg

I'm now smokin nuts for Christmas eve. Peacan wood smoke smells great.

IMG_5093.jpg

Here's a pizza server I made from white oak, red oak and black cherry,..... gonna have to make a few pizzas and give it a test run, ha ha.

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5091.jpg

Christmas cookin,
Clay[p]

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    Beautiful work, ClayQ, all around.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]That pizza peel is awesome. Beautiful work.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ClayQ,
    It looks like you have a lot of Hot Pepper Cheese. That has to be my one of my favorites. I have some swiss, but that hot pepper is really good.
    I'm not going to comment on the great looking tools you have. LOL I really liked the egg cutting board.[p]Mike

• Clay Q
    Options
    Jeffersonian,
    Hey thanks.
    Cheers.

• ClayQ,
    nicely done!

• Clay Q
    Options
    Fidel,
    Thanks. I enjoy working with wood.
    Keep up the great pic's of your cookin, man they are nice.
    Cheers.

• Fidel
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]I appreciate that.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Very nice craftsmanship on the pizza server. Did you have a plan to go by, or did you freelance the pizza sever?
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Very nice pizza peel and a most excellent dinner.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Your right, there's hot pepper, onion and sharp chedder. I had some smoked hot pepper today from a previous batch I did....oh yea, my favorite also.
    Cheers.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]thanks for posting your beautiful pizza server! As usual you do class work!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    ClayQ,
    There is some form of pepperoni as well, I have to drive 90 miles 1 way to get it. Dang good stuff as well.
    Osceola (sp) cheese factory.
    Mike

• Fidel
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I've been there. Isn't that just south of Clinton on Truman Lake?
  • Clay Q
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Thank you sir. Just pulled off the smoked nuts, they crackel a bit as they cool down, Christmas music on, full belly and I'm thinking of another JD martini would be good right now.
    Love the holidays.
    Cheers.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Fidel,
    I think on 13. 7 takes you to Bucksaw. That is were I always put in. 13 takes you further down the lake. [p]Mike

• Clay Q
    Options
    Frank in Houma,
    No pre-existing plan, I wanted a pizza server with a good handle so I turned the handle on a lathe and joined it to the board. All the wood came from scrap pieces, destined for the fireplace.
    Thanks.
    Cheers

• Clay Q
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Hey thanks buddy.
    Happy holidays!

• Clay Q
    Options
    RRP,
    Thanks Ron!
    Well it's easy makin eggcessories. I just like to mess around with the egg, make things to help me cook. Keeps me outa trouble...LOL.
    Happy Holidays,
    Clay

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Beatiful work on that peel. Glad to hear you are enjoying the Holidays so much. Awesome looking food my friend.

• Clay Q
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Thanks mucho. Just put a butter/brown sugar glaze on the smoked nuts, wooowaaa, the kids are gonna go nuts for them nuts. Sweet-n-salty-n-smokey.
    Cheers and good times to you and everyone at BGE,

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Lordy, that pizza server is a thing of great beauty! What else do you make?!? Photos, if you please.[p]Re the cheese, how does that work? You cook it low and slow over wood chips? What flavors work best? What kind of taste does it give the cheese?[p]gwen

• Clay Q
    Options
    IMG_5004.jpg
    <p />Dimple's Mom,
    Mornin Gwen,
    This cheese is being cold smoked with pecan wood. I'm cold smoking to flavor the cheese only, not to cook it. Smoked cheese has a wonderful rich flavor. It's a delicacy, a great party snack, a fun food for all ages. Old Dave and egret taught me how to make this treat. Here's how I do it[p]
    Smoked Cheese[p]Preferably on a cool day, in the morning and four days before serving so cheese has a chance to age and mellow smoke flavor.[p]Start with a clean egg, no ash or used lump at the bottom.[p]Using 6 Wicked Good briquettes (they are the best briquettes) in a smokin box- you don't need one but it's handy to hold briquettes for fire and smoke maintenance, set briquetts side by side on grate. Light with propane torch until white ash is forming on edges and the briquettes are burning on thier own. Allow some time for the briquettes to heat up, this will take about 10 minutes with the dome open.

IMG_5009.jpg

Place small chunks or chips of dry smokin wood on top of burning briquettes. Now set in plate setter legs up, pan of ice cubes to help keep cheese cool, grid and cheese. The idea is to make a fire just big enough to smoke wood but not heat up the egg.[p]Smoke 1-2 hours. The longer the smoke the deeper the flavor, it's up to you. Lower draft door is 1/3 open and top daisy wheel is 1/2 open with top slider closed. I re-charge the briquettes with small amount of wood when I need more smoke. Best to replace cheese when smoke has calmed down after a fresh charge. Lighter smokin woods are preferred; apple, guava, cherry, pecan. Hickory is good but easy does it. The egg should not get above 100 degrees dome so keep an eye on it.[p]Any firm cheese is good for smokin, a soft cheese will loose it's shape. I like chedder, hot pepper, onion, string and jack cheese. After smokin it's best to age smoked cheese in food saver vacuum bags several days before serving.[p]Happy Holidays,
    Clay [p][p] [p][p][p]