Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Bourbon Ham

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are having an early Christmas party at our house next Saturday and I want to try the maple bourbon ham that Egret posted on a previous thread. My question is what type of ham to get. The recipe says to get a cooked, ready to eat ham. Is this the same as a pre-cooked ham? I also went through the archives and some said pre-cooked hams will dry out quickly on the egg, whereas in the MBH recipe it says to cook for about 5 hours at 250. I just want to make sure I buy the right type of ham and it doesn't come out as ham jerky. Thanks.

Comments

• NUMAN,
    This recipe says a cooked ham. Egret is flying some where nearby.[p]Pork, Ham, Maple Bourbon, Twice-Smoked ham

[p]INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs pure maple syrup
    2 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or honey-Dijon mustard
    1 Tbs bourbon
    1 Tbs vegetable oil
    1 Tbs paprika
    1 Tbs onion powder (I used minced onions)
    2 tsp coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
    Maple-Bourbon mop
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 Tbs vegetable oil
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    Maple-Bourbon Glaze
    3/4 cup pure maple syrup
    1/4 cup bourbon
    3 Tbs Dijon mustard
    2 Tbs butter, preferably unsalted
    2 Tbs minced onion
    1 Tbs cider vinegar
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    (I mixed and heated in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes to melt the butter, then mixed again - just with a spoon used for mixing.)
    10-14 lb cooked ready-to-e
    10-14 lb cooked ready-to-eat ham (mine was about 11 lbs

Procedure:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    1 mix all the above and rub on the ham the night before you intend to smoke it. Wrap in plastic or place in large bag, and refrigerate until ready to smoke.
    2 Remove the ham from the refrigerator about 45 minutes to one hour before putting it in the BGE
    3 Start the BGE, and stabilize temperature at 275 degrees dome. Add 2-3 chunks of mild wood chunks (I used one each of apple, cherry, pecan), but 2-3 chunks of either of them will work just as well. Put placesetter in place (or whatever you use for indirect cooking). Place ham in V-rack over drip pan on grill on top of placesetter (see picture) at BGE forum.
    4 I used the mop sauce to baste the meat about every hour until the internal temperature reached 150 degrees, at which point I switched over to the glaze. I glazed the ham once at 150 degrees (internal) and again at 155 degrees - which was almost exactly 30 minutes apart at the 275 degree dome temperature. Remove from BGE when internal temperature reaches 160 degrees (another 30 minutes).
    5 Notice that each step in the process used progressively more maple syrup. That last glaze should not be put on until about one hour before being done, else the heavy concentration of maple syrup will burn.
    6 All those pastes, mops, and glazes are a lot of trouble to assemble the ingredients, but well worth it when you taste the final results. (Notice though, that many of the same ingredients are used in each step, just in different proportions.) This is not something I'd do again casually. I was trying it out for more formal occasions to follow, which I can assure you, I will do.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Texas Geezer, 06/05/06[p]Following are the paste/mop/glaze details from the book "Smoke and Spice" (available at most large bookstores), pp. 78-79.[p]Picture Compliments of "Chubby" Eggtoberfest '07 after party.

• NUMAN,
    I made this on T-Day with a standard pre-cooked ham from Publix. It was awesome. I believe it only took 4 hours to get up to the correct internal temp.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,179
    NUMAN,
    That recipe Richard posted isn't the one I use. You want to get a fully cooked ham, either a shank or a butt (not the spiral sliced!). You don't need to worry about it drying out! Here's the recipe :[p]Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)[p]Ingredients :[p]Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks[p]Procedure :[p]The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours). I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.[p]Maple-Bourbon Paste[p]2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

• egret,[p]Sorry for the confusion, just posted the other recipe as a follow up. LOL

• egret,
    Great Thanks. I don't have any bourbon around since I don't drink it, would Crown or Jack Daniels work the same?

• NUMAN,[p]Since you do not drink--great choice- send the crown to WessB and the jack to me in Florida. The jack is probably better for the ham. LOL.

• Richard Fl,
    Don't get me wrong, I drink, just not Bourbon. Crown Royal just sent me a Christmas card in the mail yesterday if that gives you an idea of my drink of choice.

• Egret -

I'm new to the BGE scene and have accomplished a couple butts, brisket, and have some drumetts on the BGE now. Thanks for posting the receipe...just printed and getting ready to put the ham on the egg tomorrow for Sunday lunch!

GulfCoastEgger