Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dutch oven on plate setter???

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have my new dutch oven full of chili and ready to go in the egg, I will wrap the bottom with foil for easier clean up, can I just put the oven on an inverted or standing plate setter???
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Good question New Bob, I'm waiting to hear the responses to it, since we just a got a dutch oven ourselves. (Oh, I guess you know about that, don't you? ;D)[p]Right now, my eggs are in pieces in my shed, as that that new table was given a clear-coat this morning, and it's gonna take about 24-48 hours to dry. It's like doing a lo & slow without anything to eat in the end.;)[p]Enjoy your chile!

• Bordello
    Options
    DavidR,
    I'm not sure if it's better to have the oven higher or lower in the Mr. Egg, think I will put in for now on the inverted setter as I can always change it when an answer comes in. Hope the finish comes out as desired.
    New Bob

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    New Bob,
    You can use direct if you want. If starting out at low temp for smoke I just keep at 200 to 250 degrees at dome temp. Depending on time frame of your cook this will work. Water boils at 212 so a slow simmer will cook anything you have in the pot. For peace of mind the indirect setup works fine also to avoid any hotspots on bottom of oven. They are designed to take direct coals top and bottom in the traditional setup so you won't have a problem on the egg. If in doubt just check for slow simmer in dutch oven and you're good to go. If you want smoke flavor just leave off cover during for first segment of your cook, then cover to finish. Stirring occasionally is OK and gives you a reason to play in the fire. Good Luck, but you won't need it.
    Painter

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    FAQ_Ca1.jpg
    <p />New Bob, the inverted plate setter should work. I generally put mine on two horizontal firebricks. If you look carefully at the picture, you'll see the bricks under the foil.

• Painter
    Options
    Gfw
    New Bob can't ask for better service than this. Yes I do love football but it starting to look like it's over at halftime if the Ravens don't show up for the game soon. From Wisconsin so here goes. "GO PACKERS"
    Painter

• Bordello
    Options
    Painter,
    Thanks,I decided to change the set up as I want the smoke, so am going direct. I will be sure to stir every 20 or 30 min.
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks, I had it on the setter but am going to give Painters post a try to see if I might get a little more smoke. If it's too much I will go indirect next time.
    Your help is appreciated.
    New Bob

• Painter
    Options
    New Bob,
    It won't make much difference on setup for smoke flavor as long as the lid is off when smoking. Start low indirect for smoke and then raise temp to higher temp as GFW's recipe suggests, it will just bring the oven up to temp quicker. The flavor should be the same. Just a little more forgiving with indirect setup.
    Painter

• Bordello
    Options
    Painter,
    You are absolutely right and I highly appreciate it.
    Happy Egg-n to you and GFW.
    New Bob