Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frozen egg

Options
Kansas
Kansas Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went out early this morning to get the fire started so I could put on a pork butt I had rubbed last night. Went to open the egg and the lid wouldn't budge. Put my foot on the rack to get some leverage and all I did was tilt to egg in the stand. Frozen shut. I think the felt seal must have had enough moisture in it to become like one. The only thing I knew to do was to start some lump and dump it down the top hole and try to warm it up. It took awhile, but finally I could open it. Pork Butt is on, the temp is 250 and the wait is on.

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Kansas,
    Damn, just goes to show you, there is no stopping an egg-er when it's time to Q. That was quick thinking, enjoy your cook and tell how the butt comes out.
    New Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kansas,[p]Drop in a firecube in the chimney - open the vents and the fire will melt the gasket ice. Or place a fire starter in under the grate and open the vents.[p]Tim
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Course when the vent is also frozen shut, you have to work a bit harder. I placed the end of my electric starter on it when my vent was frozen.[p]I also now cut the top & botom flaps off my son's cereal boxes. Since when the lid on my Egg freezes it is usually in the front near the handle. I place two of the flaps there when I am done with the cook and this has eliminated the problem so far.[p]Regards,
    Jethro