Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toad's Pork Loin Directions

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a little more info on Toad's Pork Loin recipe. Directions seem kind of vague on the BGE site. Preferred fruits? Cut in 3 sections? All that bacon? Chopped cashews or whole? Smoke? Size of loin?
Thanks in advance...

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Wardster,
    I have not done this cook, in looking at the recipe he stated a 3-1/2 to 4lb. loin. I would think whatever wood you like for smoke, cashews I also would think it does not matter much. Personal preference. Did you see the pictures. If not try this. (hope it works).
    New Bob

[ul][li]Pix/loin[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Wardster,[p]The posted recipe is one of the many variations Mr. Toad has offered up for everyones enjoyment at each fest with each one being a special treat. Mix and match the fruits with fruit preserves as you wish (I like to always use the fig preserves. I have used pine nuts and peanuts, but prefer the cashews the best. I use them whole and they provide a nice crunch to the meal. Use whatever size loin you wish, a 6-7" one works well with the bacon cover. The loin is cut lengthwise to form three pieces (like the bread in a club sandwich). Smoke can be whatever you feel inclined to use, a fruit smoke to compliment the stuffings or maybe something like mesquite to offset the stuffing.[p]Mr Toad's newer creations have involved a half loin that has been cut through the center (end to end) and is then stuffed. Each end is tied to secure the stuffing. This method eliminates the bacon and adds the possibility of a rub. I do believe he also uses the recipe below to marinate the loin and (last EggFest) stuffed with dates, prumes, a wine marinade for the stuffing, and much more. Very good stuff. [p]Hard to go wrong with this one.[p]Spin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Spin,[p]I forgot to provide the link ;-}. Here it is.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Santa Fe Marinade[/ul]
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Depending on what you put into Mr. Toad's Pork Loin cook you may want try a brine. NB's Righteous Chops brine recipe is absolutely fantastic.[p]We've used the brine with Mr. Toad's Pork Loin and it was sensational. We substituted apple cider for apple juice in the brine, and stuffed the pork loin with apples and wild rice. Came out great.[p]Have fun with your cook and the reviews that'll come with it.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]NB's Righteous Chops[/ul]
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Mr.%20Toad
    <p />Wardster,
    I used a whole lion, whole cashews, just about a whole pound bacon, plum preserve (couldn't find fig) and dried apples, plums & peaches. Try whatever fuit you like. For smoke I used alittle apple and cherry.
    It was excellent.
    B D

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    Great pictures of a wonderful looking loin on one heck of a good looking cutting board. A job well done.
    New Bob