Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just did a three bone standing rib roast. Just rubbed with lemon pepper and seasoned salt. Cooked about 2 1/2 hours between 325 and 350. Turned out really good, but could have been more tender in the center. Is the way to get there to "age" the roast in the refridgerator for a couple of days prior to cooking? Thanks

Comments

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Gandolf,
    My wife and I tried this standing rib roast from Alton Brown - FoodTV. [p]http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,19292,00.html[p]Turned out incredibly good. Season as you like. I believe I rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper, tyme, garlic, etc. Don't worry about the terr-cotta pot, you've got the egg for that. We aged ours for about 4 days with no harm done. I cooked it indirect in a pan with a rack so we could have some juice for aujus. Turned out there were none. Also, instead of going to 500F for the high temp "crusting" I went to 700-750F for about 10 minutes or so.
    I made the mistake of pulling it at 105F thinking while the egg warmed to 750F the roast would rise about 10 degrees and then even more after the "crusting". It turned out much too rare. I tend to like it mid rare but this was about two levels below rare. Next time I believe I'll pull it at 115-120F like the recipe says then do the 750F thing.

• Taking it out at the proper internal temp is the key. I take mine out around 122-125F, wrap it in foil and place in the unheated kitchen oven for about 20 minutes. The temp rises to about 130F and the meat turns out pink, tender, yet not bloody every time.
  • AndyR,
    That's exactly what I did. It came out evenly cooked throughout and a perfect medium rare from center to edge. The only juices I got were while it rested out of the egg.