Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck: About Smoking Fish

PuppyBreath
PuppyBreath Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just did a salmon smoke on Sunday and my word it was grand... cut a large fillet into 6oz. portions before brining... vacuum packed and froze about 6 or 7 packages to be used for pizza, sandwiches etc...[p]tell me, have you ever smoked halibut... i think i'd like to give it a shot, but i know it's taste is more delicate...[p]Pup

Comments

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    PuppyBreath,
    I've been really wanting to try and smoke some salmon. Can you lay out for me what you did and I'll give it a shot !!
    Thanks, BobbyG

• sure Bobby,
    I followed Chuck's 'Smoked Trout Recipe' to a 'T'...
    starting a small fire, putting a soaked and drained cup full of alder chips on the fire and THEN covering the chips with more charcoal seems to be the secret of a good deep smoke...[p]after the fish comes out of the brine, i used paper towels to pat it dry before further drying it on a grill, over a bowl in the fridge...[p]check out Chuck's recipe...[p]http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/newRecipes/seafood0253.htm[p]if you like that west coast native smoked salmon taste, you'll LOVE this...
    let us know!
    Puppy[p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    PuppyBreath,[p]Sounds like you are having a great time smoking fish. I would like to hear more about the salmon on pizza idea, sounds interesting. I have never done halibut, please let me know how it comes out. As you mentioned in your reply to BobbyG, the fire has a lot to do with the smoke penetration, IMHO. I must give credit to Char-Woody, he is the one who taught me the "Char-Woody smoky fire method". Thanks again C~W, if you are reading. Keep up the good work and let me know how the halibut comes out.[p]Chuck <><

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    trout1.jpg
    <p />BobbyG, [p]Give it a try you won't be dissapointed. It is not that hard to do and has become a family favorite. We like the salmon a lot but the trout seems to be everyones favorite here. The photo is of the trout, salmon comes out about the same. Have fun.[p]Chuck
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    PuppyBreath,
    Great, I've just printed the recipe and will give it a try this weekend. I'll let you guys how I do.Thanks, BobbyG.