Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Smoked Cheddar results

Options
Scotty's Inferno
Scotty's Inferno Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning,
Sunday night I smoked several blocks of various Cabot Cheddars and wanted to encourage you to give it a spin. I chose to use Cabot cheeses at the insistence of a forum member months back. I cannot disagree. They are really quality cheeses.
I chose to use a very simplified coffee can method because that is how I do all cold smoking and am comfortable with it. I soaked 2 small chunks of cherry while prepping the egg. I put all the cheese in the freezer while I prepped the egg. I lit 4 or 5 medium USED pieces of lump with a torch, laid the chunks on, put the plate setter on, grid on, cheese on and closed the egg.
I kept the bottom vent open completely and the daisy barely cracked. My temperature gauge never budged and so my dome temp never left ambient temps. I did not use ice. I smoked it for 1 hour at other's suggestions, pulled it, foodsavered it and put it away.
We tried the 1st block last night, and it is my best effort ever afet 4 attempts. I credit the cheese, cherry and 1 hour time as a great combination. I now wonder if simple, unsmoked cheddar will ever be good again? Scott

Comments

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,[p]Just curious, where does the coffee can come in? Hope I just didn't see it......[p]
    Rick

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Salmon,
    it's his mini firebox. lump in the can to consolidate it, so that it's all together and touching.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Scotty's Inferno,
    Wild black cherry smoked cheese was a hit at Thanksgiving with my family and again at my wifes family. RRP has a 'can smoker' for his egg, I use a 'smokin box'. Good to hear that your smoked cheese was great.
    I see you chilled your cheese in the ice box....interesting.