Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone ever made BBQ Pizza?. . .

Options
Washog
Washog Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Watching that video below put me in the mood for some pizza. We are going to have pulled pork Sadwhiches this evening and I thought with the leftovers I'd make a BBQ Pizza Tomorrow. I thought about using the New York Style Pizza Sauce Receipe found in the pizza recipe section here on the forum and subsitute the 1 1/4 cup of crushed plum tomatos with BBQ sauce. Am I on the right track or is there a better way?
Also, I now have two pizza stones and was hoping someone could post the cooking instructions for using two stones. As always, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Washog, I have never used this method/recipe myself but many here have and claim to like it...[p][p]
    Click on the link provided and go to the 'pizza' button....

[ul][li]Pizza a la Darryl....[/ul]
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Washog,[p]I've made 8 pizzas on my BGE. I use a relatively thin crust, though not cracker thin. I've found my best results are when I cook at 650 for 6-8 minutes. At 600, it seems to take too long to cook the dough (toppings are done, but dough isn't), and at 700 it seems to burn the dough before the cheese has melted.[p]But that's for the crust recipe I use, and the cheese I use. Sorry I don't have the crust recipe handy. It did take me some experimenting to close in on that 650 temp. On the forum here, I see temps from 550 on up to 700, and I think that variation has a lot to do with the dough.[p]I also make my own sauce. General instructions:[p]If making your own dough, then it should be cold, out of the fridge, when you begin to form the shape. As well, the sauce should be cold, or at most room temp. If you make your own sauce, be sure it has cooled, or this heat will transfer to the dough upon assembly. I like a mix of cheddar and mozzerella cheese, however these two cheese have different melting points, so it does make the cook a bit more difficult.[p]I recommend dusting your peel with cornmeal, and assembling the pizza on your dusted peel.[p]I cook with the plate setter installed and a BGE pizza stone on that. If you don't have a plate setter, then using fire bricks to elevate the stone(s) would work well.[p]Whatever you decide, enjoy your pizza. I've used these basic methods quite a bit in the oven. I find these BGE pizzas taste noticably better than my oven ones do. The crust seems crispier, and overall it all "jells" together very nicely.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Washog,
    I haven't tried this, but it sounds like you're on the right track. If I were doing it, instead of starting with an Italian sauce, I'd start with the barbecue sauce and add some chopped seeded tomatoes to it (this may not even be necessary depending on how robust the barbecue sauce is), spread it on the formed pizza dough and add your pulled pork as a topping, as well as the addition of perhaps some sauteed peppers and onion, some hot red pepper flakes and some freshly ground black pepper. I suppose some jalapeno jack cheese might be good. Just not TOO much cheese.[p]Anyway, why don't you give this a shot and let us know the results? Good luck![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Washog,[p]I also use a setter with pizza stone on top. I use a dome temp of 550-600 deg for 10-14 min. Leave the meat on top so it will cook. Avoid too much sauce as it gets soggy.[p]Enjoy
    Tim

[ul][li]Tim's[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Washog,
    I made an excellent pizza for lunch. I saw the pizza shaping technique thread below and it got me hungry. Son was getting off early from school so I decided to make one for lunch.
    I've probably cooked 8 or so pies on the egg before but this was simply the best.
    Follow the advice here...550*+ dome temp; plate setter with pizza stone on top; 8-12 minutes to melt and slightly brown the cheese....still full. Glad I got my 3 little slices...that 18 yr old ate the rest!

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    thumbsup.jpg
    <p />Shelby,[p]Way to go! What toppings besides the cheese?[p]Puj
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Mop,[p]Seeing the post from you, then seeing the link to djm5x9's page on pizza on your website warms my heart. :)[p]This doesn't mean Darryl and I can't come to the Stampede this summer, .... right?[p]Puj
  • Mop
    Options
    Puj,it just gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside don`t it![p]LOL[p]Yes of course you's are welcome there, are you kidding",I would love to meet you guys......ok maybe not Darryl but HEY!...LOL[p]Mop

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mop:[p]What's the matter, Mop? You afraid two southern boys will come and teach you to make "Q" AND pizza? Besides, you just want us to come and bring our American beer . . . 'cause it is better!

• Mop
    Options
    djm5x9,Well I might give you the 'pizza' kudo but the beer??????LOL[p]come now, you know that Canadian beer is far better than that 'near beer' stuff...[p]Sleeman Silver Creek to ya...(:[p]Mop

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Puj,
    Peppronni and mushrooms...and 4 cups of cheese!