Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings help. . .

Options
Washog
Washog Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought some wings that are all togather, not cut and seperated like a typical "hot wing. What temp and length of time do I need to cook these babies? Do I need to cut 'em up and cook them like restaurant style wings? I'm soaking them in buttemilk and spices in a plastic bag and am wanting to put them on this evening.[p]Thanks in advance. You guys always have the best advice.

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Washog,[p]When I buy wings like that I usually cut them into three pieces. I cook the larger pieces, and throw the tips out, or make chicken stock from them. [p]If you don't cut them, you can probably just cook them like any other wings. I've been to blues bars where they serve whole wings fried, so there's no reason not to grill them that way.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Washog,
    I just cut the tips off, and cook the rest. I find that leaving the two large pieces together allows me to do the flips moe quickly. When the flipping takes too long, the fire can get away from you with all of the fresh air.[p]When eating, I twist the two pieces apart, and dip!
    Whatever you do, wings are one of the faves at this house.
    Don't forget the beer for the chef.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I agree that the turning process can get that fire humming...250 becomes inferno mighty fast. Can't remember who it was that talked about a set-up that sandwiches two large (maybe Weber?) grids that would hold your wings tight, and you just flip it over for your 2 or 3 turns through the cook...including your saucing them at the last 15 minutes. like to know if that requires some clamps, hardware, etc. Any ideas NB? Thanks!
    Big Murth

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_12_0012_16_01.jpg
    <p />Washog, just listen to the previous posters - I do the same thing - little bits to the can, big bits to the BGE. My favorite wings Gfw's Hot Wings which are only a minor variation of ChefRD's Hot Wings!

• Gfw
    Options
    Big Murth, Been there. Used two 15 inch grids and a pair of work gloves. Worked so well that I quit - more fun to turn by hand and as they start to near completion - easier to check doneness as a snak! :~}

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    Gfw,
    You cook on a medium though, right? Hence the 15 inchers?
    I'm on a Large, so I'm figuring 18". Any clamping goin' on there? Thanks!!

• Gfw
    Options
    Big Murth, medium and no clamping - not really needed with the smaller size grid - sometime I will also also raise the grid up by the height of firebricks - keeps them from burning.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Washog,[p]I always cut my wings in half and trim the extra skin on both pieces. Takes a few minutes but it is also a tad healthier.Once you cut them in half and cut the tip off of the "wing" portion, you will notice a large flap of skin that you don't really need. Whack that dude off. If you have a wide cutting knife that will make your job of seperation much easier.There is cartalidge between the joints. That's where you want to cut.[p]As far as the airflow issue, I always just shut the bottom vent and that stops that problem completely. No air, no flare. Sorta has a nice ring, don't ya think.[p]Even though I think my wings are dang good, I agree with Larry. Chef's wings are the bomb.[p]Hope that helps a touch. Try shutting that bottom vent 30 seconds before you flip. Makes a world of difference.[p]Mick

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I've never used the two grids method - probably because I like turning and moving the individual pieces. But I bet someone could easily invent a device like the two grids used for grilling wings and other small morsels. I have the idea - any engineers/inventors want to brainstorm with me and collaborate on a new product?

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Gfw,
    You sure know how to make a fellow hungry...

• Washog
    Washog Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. After reading some of your posts, I ventured down to my BGE dealer. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because my local dealer actually is a Q head and is always giving out excellent tips and advice. Anyway, he had this nice little basket type gizmo that allowed me to adjust the height. It held 16 wings after I'd trimmed the tips and made flipping them a breeze. It only cost five bucks too. [p]Anyway, thanks again for all the help. I put on a Pork shoulder last night around 9 pm and am going to have some pulled pork this evening. [p]