Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOKING TURKEY

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, folks, I'm new to this. How much lump charcoal and smoking wood do I need to put in my large egg? Do I fill it all the way to just under the grill rack?? Then regulate my heat from there? What if I run out of charcoal and wood?? [p]THANKS MUCH

Comments

• Eggmeister, Ph.D
    Options
    Roger,[p]The amount of lump depends on how long you will be cooking. Just filler up to the top of the fire ring (not the grid) and you should have at least 20 hours of cooking at 225-250*. Go to NakedWhiz.com and read all about how to build a fire...recipes there as well. Hope this helps!
  • Roger,
    Lay your lump up to the fire ring, after your bird is done, shut your vent & damper and the fire will go out and you can use the remaining lump at the next cook. As far as smoking wood it doesn't take a lot maybe 2 or 3 hunks about 1" X 2" X 2" (some use less). I used hickory, but many others use pecan, apple, or many others. If you use too much lump or a wood like mesquite then some people might find the taste overpowering. My turkey was 12 pounds and it took about 3 hours on the egg. [p]B & C
    Bill & Connie
    Atlanta, GA

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Roger,[p]Welcome. Take a look at the link below. This tutorial has helped out many this week. [p]Mike
    [ul][li]Mad Max Turkey[/ul]
  • B & C,
    THIS CAME OUT WRONG: As far as smoking wood it doesn't take a lot maybe 2 or 3 hunks about 1" X 2" X 2" (some use less). I used hickory, but many others use pecan, apple, or many others. If you use too much lump or a wood like mesquite then some people might find the taste overpowering. [p]IT SHOULD READ: As far as smoking wood it doesn't take a lot maybe 2 or 3 hunks about 1" X 2" X 2" (some use less). I used hickory, but others use pecan, apple, or many other WOODS. If you use too much CHUNK or a wood like mesquite then some people might find the SMOKE taste overpowering. [p]MAYBE THAT WILL READ BETTER.[p]Thanks, B & C
    Bill & Connie
    Atlanta, GA