Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all leftover recipes!

Options
Georgie
Georgie Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Maybe I just missed it, but I'm surprised to see there haven't been a flurry of recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers yet. I hope to acquire lots of ideas and wisdom here so come one, come all! Turkey chili? Turkey pizza? Turkey stuffed ABT's? Help me out folks![p]Here's one the Mrs. surprised me with this morning. It was actually REALLY delicious - especially with the smokey flavor the egg gave the turkey:[p]Thanksgiving Leftover Omelet
Mix in turkey breast meat, mozzarella, sharp cheddar, and (here's what really surprised me) mashed potatoes and stuffing! It was delicious!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Georgie,[p]OK, this is not an egg recipe, but could easily be adapted to the egg. I prefer the broiler. This is a great sandwich for leftover turkey breast, which tends to dry when re-heated:[p]I give you, the Hot Brown:[p]INGREDIENTS:
    • 1/4 cup butter
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 cup milk
    • 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
    • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    • 4 slices white bread, toasted
    • 6 ounces roast turkey, thinly sliced
    • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
    • 8 strips fully cooked bacon[p]PREPARATION:
    Sauce: In a medium saucepan melt margarine or butter. Stir in flour and pepper. Add milk all at once.
    Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Gradually stir some of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolk. Return all of the egg and sauce mixture to the saucepan.
    Cook and stir until the sauce just starts to bubble again. Remove from heat. Stir in the 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
    Arrange the slices of toast in a single layer on the unheated rack of a broil pan. Top with sliced turkey, some sauce, and the 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
    Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 3 minutes or until the sauce is hot and bubbly. For each serving, place one toast and turkey portion on a serving plate. Top each serving with two slices of cooked bacon. Serve hot.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Georgie,
    i went to food network and on their front page was a link Here It Is[p]
    HTH[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Georgie,[p]Guess I posted to early this am while many were out shopping.[p]Looks like the forum had a great T-Day! Sorry to hear that WessB had a mishap. Hope you are better buddy, [p]In anticipation of lots of turkey leftovers, I did a trial run on white chili last week and thought I would share. Happy Holidays![p]Chili, Chicken, Beans, White, Richard [p]Well decided to do a white chili chicken today. Did a 7# Spatchcock recently and had lots of breast meat left over. So with the kind contributions from: Wardster, Lenscamp, Borders & Paula Deen here is what got cooked. [p]
    INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 Cups Chicken or Turkey Meat, Cooked, Diced
    2 Cups Great Northern Beans
    1/2 Stick Butter
    3 Cans Chicken Broth, Low Sodium
    2-3 Pieces Bacon, Crispy Cooked, Chopped Small
    2 Cans Green Chili, Diced
    1 Can Ro*Tel, Original
    1 1/2 White Onion, Diced
    1/2 Cup Diced, Red, Yellow & Green Chili Peppers
    1-2 Tbs Cumin, ground
    1 Tsp Crushed Red Peppers, Dried
    2 Tbs Minced Garlic
    2 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    1/2 Cup Salsa, Medium Heat. [p][p]
    Procedure:
    1 Rinsed the northern beans and brought to a boil for 5 minutes. Turned off and let sit for an hour then rinsed again.
    2 Sauted onions, garlic and peppers in butter until onions are opaque. Olive oil will also work.
    3 Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours until the beans are cooked. [p]
    Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry, Side Dish [p]Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 11/18/07[p][p][p]

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Georgie,[p]There were NO leftovers----34 lbs of turkey and 15 people[p]GONE!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Georgie,
    two for you. .. [p]1. turkey pot pie[p]buy a pair of the pre made pastry pie crusts. . . .lay one in a pie pan. . .. take some leftover mad max gravy, add some half and half or heavy cream to it, along with cut up turkey, taters, carrots, celery, mushrooms, whatever. .. pour it in the pie crust, top with second pie crust. .. cut some vents in the top crust . . .bake in the egg or oven at 350 degrees for about one hour or until crust is nice and brown. ...yum[p]2. turkey shepherds pie (this ones good if you have leftover mashed taters)[p]in a pan combine gravy, frozen peas, carrots, cut up turkey .. . heat up, then put in a loaf pan or casserole dish. .. .cover with a layer of mashed taters. . .bake in egg or oven at 350 for about an hour until top of taters is browned. .. .[p]both are easy, good, and a little different .. .

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Fidel,
    That is a KY dish. There are quite a few variations, most are good. We have actually cooked a breast, just to make hot browns!!
    Another good leftover recipe is turkey carcus soup. May sound strange but don't knock it till you've tried it.
    Put it in a large pot and cover with water, add salt & pepper, diced onion, celery, carrotts, ect. Whatever you have and like. Cook till it falls apart. Strain to remove the bones, tendons, ect. Add rice and heat till the rice is done. The rice will absorb some of the water and thicken it a bit.

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Turkey and Black Bean Tostadas:[p]3-4 Oz Turkey (1/4 inch dice)
    1/4 Cup Cooked Black Beans drained and rinsed
    3-4 Tbsp fresh corn or thawed frozen corn (Roasted is even better!)
    1 Small tomato diced (1/4 inch dice)
    1 Lime (juiced)
    1 Tbs Hot Sauce (to taste)
    1/4 Cup Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    1/4 Cup Sour Cream
    2 Flat Corn Tostada Shells
    1/2 Cup Shredded Lettuce
    1 Tbsp Snipped Chives[p]In A bowl combine:
    Turkey, Balck Beans, Corn, Tomato, Lime Juice, Hot Sauce, and Cheese.
    Let rest a few minuted for flavors to mingle.[p]Spread sourcream on Tostada shells. Top Each Shell with Turkey Mix, Lettuce, and Chives. Makes 2 tostadas [p]NOTE: I generally make a whole bunch more. I use the whole can of black beans, and then use that as my measuring guide. I have also learned that I use more corn than this calls for, because I like it![p]E

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Here is what they look like.
    PB230128.jpg

• Fidel,
    thanks for the suggestion.[p]i always wondered where the name came from. this gave a good reason to google it:[p]Chef Fred K. Schmidt at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky, created The Hot Brown sandwich in 1926. In the 1920s, the Brown Hotel drew over 1,200 guests each evening for its dinner dance. The band would play until late, and when the band took bread, around midnight; people would retire to the restaurant for a bite to eat. Bored with the traditional ham and eggs, Chef Schmidt, delighted his guests by creating the Hot Brown.[p]
    from cookingamerica.com

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Richard Fl,[p]That chili sounds really good...[p]Seeing the Indian River Rainbow Pepper reminds me, we need some more of your pepper. Would you shoot me an email with some details of what you've got and how we can get some?[p]
    Thanks,
    Tonia
    :~)

• Georgie
    Options
    Georgie,
    Great suggestions, thanks everyone!