Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

moisture leaking out of fissures in lid

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We need help with a moisture problem. Our Egg has been sitting outside for a year. We hadn't used it since August. When we fired it up two days ago, brownish water started oozing out of the neck on the top of the lid and dripping down the outside and also oozing from very small fissures inside the lid. Enough water was coming out of the inside of the lid that it was preventing the coals from getting really hot. Water was also bubbling up through and down around the hole where the thermometer sits. Has this happened to anyone?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Jinny Beyer,[p]Yup, it's happened.[p]No problems. I leave mine uncovered and a lot of times after a rain when I first fire up the moisture weeps. It will be done in a few minutes, then cook as normal.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Jinny Beyer,[p]I've had similar water oozes from just letting the Eggs sit unused for a few days during heavy rain. The ceramic is porous enough that the Egg's shell absorbes water. When its fired up, the water is driven out, forming sooty drops. Until the ceramic is dry, its hard to get the temp above 450.[p]I have 2 Eggs. The glaze on the newer one is showing a bit of craquelure on the top, the older, just a trace here and there. Its normal for ceramics to have this. It just makes the water seepage a bit more pronounced.[p]
    So, not to worry,
    gdenby

• currdog
    Options
    Jinny Beyer,
    I've had my egg sweat out the brown water after its been stuck in the rain. Once you burn it off and use your egg regularly, you shouldn't have a problem.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    gdenby,[p]Funny you say that. I wonder if they changed something at BGE. My large, which is several years old, has never had the "seepage" issue, but my medium which is newer, does it pretty regularly.[p]Also, the large I kept covered for the first few years of it's life and the medium has never been covered. Don't know if that has anything at all to do with it, but that is the only other variable in the equation.
  • egger ave
    Options
    Jinny Beyer,
    My BGE gets used weekly and I have the same issue on a smaller scale. I suspect that heating the BGE is causing the moisture to percolate out of the ceramic. Mine has done this several times when we have humid weather. After the BGE heats up, the moisture evaporates it comes up to temp.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • GrillGurl
    Options
    Jinny Beyer,[p]Hi Jinny! Are you the "quilting" Jinny Beyer? If so, I love your fabrics & books! I've not seen you post here before, so welcome to the forum.[p]Your seeping issue is pretty common, but not a problem, as others have explained.[p]Cheryl J.
  • Thanks everyone for all your comments. I was getting pretty worried, thinking I had done something wrong by not covering the egg and letting it get rained on. I forgot to mention that mine is the extra large egg. It took more than a few minutes for the water to quit seeping.It kept dripping down an d putting out the fire. That explains why we couldn't get the temperature up above 450![p]Jinny

• GrillGurl,[p]Yes, I'm the quilter. Nice to know there is another egg enthusiast who is also a quilter![p]Jinny

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Fidel,[p]How does the water get through the paint?[p]Water might weep into the gasket material, but that should be minimal.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Fidel,[p]I thought I read somewhere that the paint should not discolor.[p]However, my large is just over 60 days old and I bought a new medium. There is big color difference, the large has faided.[p]It sounds like a cover is pretty important.[p]Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    currdog,[p]Water in the ceramic is not a good thing at all.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    what paint[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    there's no paint on the egg. that's essentially glass. crazing and scratches, and the dirt which can get in them, will lighten the color over time.[p]a cover is good, but most of us don't even bother, frankly.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    stike,[p]I keep forgetting your 'logical thinking' to things - not a bad thing.[p]There is some type of paint/pigment then a glaze.[p]Most likely the glaze is in liquid form then it dries. Then baked which liquifies and hardens as it cools.[p]The glaze should not leak or aborb moisture. The paint/pigment appears to be by UV.[p]Just my 2¢ worth.[p]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    BENTE,[p]LOL... My egg is green, the ceramic material is an off white (now well blackened).[p]There is paint/pigment involved somewhere in the process of making these things.[p]Kent
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Jinny Beyer,[p]That's all dem spiders who found a darn good home in between the lid and egg and dey eggs dat were oooozzing out. Seriously when I do not use mine for a week or more amazing the little spiders that come running out from under the lid when that smoke hits. Especially, around the marina.

• BYC,[p]Interesting. I DID see very small little spiders on the egg when it was oozing. I kept trying to blow them off or brush them off so they wouldn't die from the heat.There seem to be little pin-prick holes in the lid and thats where the spiders came from.[p]Jinny

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Jinny Beyer,
    My large did this one time, when I went on vacation and did not put on the vinyl cover. I try to cover it most of the time if it's going to sit more than a few days , which doesn't happen much ...anyway ...the cover seems to help keep things dryer.

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.