Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 hours 15 minutes and breast temp already 140

Options
BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow, 15 lb Turkey has been on for 2 hour and 15 minutes at 325 degrees and the breast temp is already 142 degrees. Does this seem fast to any of you guys online?

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BamaEGG,[p]I think you're fine. I would estimate about 3.5 to 4 hours for your turkey, depending on whether or not you brined and how cold the breasts were to begin with. Of course there's a margin of error, and you may want to translate your temp probe in and out and see if you can find a colder spot in the breast - your probe may just not be in the deepest portion.[p]Happy Thanksgiving,[p]TRex
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    BamaEGG,
    Sounds on track to me. The total cook should be about 3 hours.[p]12 minutes times 15 pounds = 3 hours.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    BamaEGG,
    Mine hit 160° in 1 hour...LOL....hence my post about having to open the dome and re-position my probe....check it wuth a thermapen if you have one and place the probe where the breast is coldest.....get the dome opened and closed as fast as possible...[p]Wess

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Happy Thanksgiving brother..hope you have a wonderful day[p]Wess

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips. I did a practice turkey a week ago which was a 13 lb bird. I finished up in 4 hours. Turned out to be a great tasting bird. This one being a little bigger I thought for sure it would take a little longer.[p]Oh well, Whats the best way to keep it warm until I am ready to carve? I was thinking double wrap of foil, and set it in the oven which will be off. [p]I hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving DaY
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    BAMAEGG,[p]Double wrap in foil, final wrap or cover with a towel. It can sit 2.5 hrs like that and still be steaming hot when you carve.[p]TRex