Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket changing changing cooks

Options
hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I replaced my mostly burned bottom felt gasket with a stove gasket. I used the round, white gasket that basically looks like a kids jump rope, not like the tape.[p]Anyway, was and am happy with the results. This weekend, I did a turkey for my sister. I was trying to do it slow, so I really cranked the cooker down. Set it the way I have become accustomed to set it -- i.e. something like a quarter inch down on bottom daisy wheel closed, vents halfway up top.[p]and....[p]the fire went out. Seems that my old fire was drawing a good bit of air through the cracks, and now it is not.[p]So, I have to sort of reorient myself with how hot the cooker gets and when.[p]So, if you are replacing your gasket, you might want to remember this post and keep an eye on your temperatures for a while. It really made a big difference for me.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    hounddog,[p]Thanks for the tip. I burned my gaskets out years ago and never have replaced them. To old to change my habits and settings I guess so I just leave them burned. Works just great without the sticky little rascals :~)

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    hounddog,
    I did my mini with the white jump rope stuff and it
    worked great. I did my large with the flat grey Rutland
    gasket (3/4 inch). They're very good too, but the Rutland
    glue keeps failing. I think I'll use the glue from the
    white gasket to repair the Rutland gasket.
    Chuck

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bob,
    I remember that story about your melted gasket! That was fun at the time. If I remember correctly, the welded egg was the same night you demonstrated a suprise controlled whoosh to startle the missuz. Those were some fun times on the forum.[p]Best of the New Year to you, Bob.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    GaDawg,
    kinda late for you for this suggestion, but I would bet the reason the glue is failing had to do with poor adhesion to the ceramic. When I replaced mine I used a 3M painter remover wheel to take it all off without damaging the ceramic and then also got the edges back to pristine white using a pumice stone. My Rutland flat gasket is very secure. If anybody is interested I have a set of instructions and hints I have shared with other people about the replacement of your gasket that I would be happy to share...just email me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Hi Chris,[p]Those were some fun times for sure. Learned a lot about egging back then.[p]Happy New Year to you and the family.[p]Bob

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    RRP,
    I took the old gasket off with a putty knife, then used sharp chisels to remove most of the gunk, and finally sanded with 60 grit down to bare white ceramic. I think where I went wrong was being too concerned with gluing the top and bottom together, so I tried to be very neat and therefore went too slow. That cement seemed to skin over very quickly. Next time I'll work faster.
    Chuck

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    GaDawg,
    I can't tell but by chance had you spread all of the glue on first and then started putting the gasket on? Humidity and heat will greatly affect the open time for the adhesive. I suggest starting at the back center spread some glue neatly on the edge. I used a serrated blade so there would be no pools to ooze out. IMHO you want to tack it down well, and keep it light rather than impregnating the gasket thus making it a hard mass. Spread only about say 4 " at a time until you get the hang of what you're doing. Now press the gasket end down in the wet glue and start immediately to compress the gasket back into itself so that it is no longer just 5/8" wide but is the full width of your egg's edge. You might try this dry before starting..you'll see it takes on the look of a tightly woven braid when compressed. Once you like how it looks press it firmly into the glue.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.