Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin searing/cooking question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new egger, cooked on a Weber forever and need help with a 7 lb.beef tenderloin I plan to cook tonight. If the ideal temp to cook the beef is 350, how can you sear the meat at high temp and then get the egg temp down to 350 quickly to cook? I'm thinking I can sear it on my Weber and then transfer to the egg to cook. Please help, as that seems ridiculous to need 2 devices to cook 1 piece of beef

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    JDub,
    you can slow roast then sear at the end when you are 15 degrees under the desired temp.[p]or, you can sear the egg quicklt after getting to temp. don't let it sit thre for a half hour at 700. just sear the tenderloin for 2 or 3 minutes a side as you roll it along the grate. when seared, take it off the egg, shut the vents alomst enitriely (almost). when it gets down to 400, toss the tenderloin back on to finish roast.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]I like plan B, as I always like to sear first to seal in the juices. Sounds like a plan, thanks[p]JDub

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    JDub,
    don't believe that old myth![p]searing actually causes juices to leak out! but they are minimal, and you get more flavor from the sear to compensate.[p]time to kill off that myth![p]either way, though, will work.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante