Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

well planning on grilling some fruit for tomorrow's desert any ideas??

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
all i was planning is chopping up some large fruit pieces and the putting them on a skewer maybe add some raw sugar then grill at 400 or so for a few minutes per side then serving them as is?? am i on the right track? i never did fruit before so open to any suggestions.
thanks mike

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    Use one cup orange juice and one cup brown sugar and marinate 4 hours or over night.Put the fruit on kabobs on high heat(around 500) Cook until browned about two minutes per side do not over cook because the fruit will fall apart. You can use pineapple,peaches,apple,bananas,grapes,in bite size chunks and skewer them to put on the grill.

• mikeb6109,[p]Yes you are on the right track. Here is one way I like to do them.[p]Dessert, Fruit, Richard

Here is one way I like to do bananas, peaches, pears and apples, pineapple rings or wedges..
    [p]Preparation:
    1/4 cup Turbindo sugar.
    1/2 cup Pecans, Walnuts, Macademia, Almond or combination, Coarsley Chopped
    1/4 cup Coconut Flakes, Coarsley Chopped
    4 Tbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 oz Gran Marnier, Amaretto, Myers Rum, Orange or Banana Liquer, Malibu Coconut Rum, (Optional)
    Whip Cream to Garnish

Procedure:
    1 For an interesting dessert, take the coconut flakes, nuts, turbindo sugar, melted butter, and mix with a little, (your choice) gran marnier, amaretto, or liquer of choice or orange juice. Mix into a thick paste. Cut bananas in half lengthwise with skin on,(skin is great after heated) peaches or pears. After the main dish is cooked and the BGE is being shutdown. I place the fruit on the grid (skin on)with the mixture covering the fruit and turn the puppy off. 15-25 minutes later, after the main course is finished, the dessert is ready. Top with blueberries, raspberries,whipped cream, ice cream or whatever you prefer.

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 02/22/07

[p]

• flatironsteakstew-061.jpg
    <p />mikeb6109,
    marinate those fruit skewers in rum and brown sugar for an hour in the fridge, then grill direct at 400 till you can't stand it. serve on platter with left over marinade [p]serve with whipped cream or ice cream or drizzle of honey or [p]legoflamb-056.jpg

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p]Awww...Rick stole my idea! LOL! MY version is to slice up a pineapple in 1/2 inch slices, sprinkle a little cinnamon and turbinado sugar on both sides, then grill for 2 or 3 minutes per side till caramelized. Yumm! I did these at the Pacific NW Eggfest and they were a big hit![p][p][p][p]

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • bbqfruit2.jpg
    <p />JD McGee,
    after you grill some pineapple rings, throw them in a cast iron skillet with bananas and a few strawberries with butter & honey & brown sugar

• JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]You're KILLIN' me...LOL!!! :)

Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    wow i think i might just skip right to the desert!!!