Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max carcus, stock recipie?

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made the Mad Max turkey this past Sunday. Which was wonderful, thanks to Max for all his help. Does anyone have any good ideas what to do with the carcus and some leftover stock? Of course there is no bird left!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,
    don't know if there is enough carcus to make more stock. ..just pitch it . .. [p]but save that stock . .. it is great for making risotto ... or use it to make more gravey for sauted chicken breasts or turkey breast cutlets. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    you can also use it as the liquid for your dressing/stuffing week after next :-)

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Susan Egglaine, I can never bring myself to throw out a turkey or large chicken carcass, so this is the recipe I use, and it makes great soup. I have only done it on the stove, but next time want to try it in a Dutch oven on the egg.[p]TURKEY CARCASS SOUP[p]Place bones and skin in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water. Add 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. seasoned pepper, a bay leaf and 1 tbsp. Dymond Lake Seasoning (from Webber's Northern Lodges recipe book series). If you don't have DLS, use more salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, simmer 1-2 hours. Strain out all the bones and skin. Remove any turkey from bones and set aside. Discard bones, skin and bay leaf.
    To the broth, add:
    1 onion, chopped
    a few ribs of celery with leaves, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped, if there were no leftovers from your meal
    3/4 cup of your favourite rice (I use a Texmati blend)
    Simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies and rice are soft.
    Add any leftover veggies, dressing, gravy, broth etc. from your meal. I sometimes add a cup of frozen corn.
    Reheat, adjust seasonings and serve.[p][p]

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Susan Egglaine, forgot to add the turkey meat back in at the end.

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    Looks good, I will try and save some turkey next time. I am sure I will do a chicken this weekend and use up all the parts. Thanks

• Little Steven
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,[p] We get this backwards. We should make stock before the turkey so you have the stock on hand to enrich thae gravy and stuffing if you make it outside of the bird.. Around Thanksgiving turkey necks, backs, legs and wings are always on sale. Roast the turkey parts over a drip pan in the egg. After the turkey parts turn golden, and mirepoix and roast til the turkey parts and the mirepoix. are dark brown. Deglaze the drip pan with decent white wine and put everything in a stock pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for six hours or longer. Strain and cool liquid and de-fat. Use what you need for gravy or stuffing and when you have the carcass add it to the leftover stock and make up with water and simmer again for the six hours. Freeze the stock in 1 Quart vaccum bags and vacuum seal when frozen. As Max said use the stock for soups ans stews throghout the year. Or start the whole thing over at Christmas or Easter[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Michael B
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,

[ul][li]This was good[/ul]