Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Turkey Ever Ü

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My thanks to all on the forum for the help on egg-n a turkey. I had a 13 lb. frozen bird. Not one of the best, I got it free from my local store because of spending a certain amount of $$$$$$$$$ throughout the year.[p]Thawed it out, brined it for about 12 hours in 6 quarts water,1 1/2 kosher salt, cup and a half brown sugar, splash of honey, some general herbs,onion,celery,pepper and a shot or two of brandy.
In the morning I rinsed it out,patted dry and put in the fridge for about 4 hours uncovered.[p]Cleaned out Mr. Large and put in new lump, lit and set at 325°, took the bird out of the fridge and put one cut up apple,2 pieces celery, one slice onion in the cavity. Brushed the outside with olive oil mixed with general herbs and pepper, put it in the egg indirect over drip pan with apple juice. Cooked for about 4 hours till 168° breast temp.
Took it off the egg and set in kitchen oven at 250° till we were ready to eat. Best damn turkey we have ever had, I was scared the whole time as I had out of state guest. I am used to dry meat, grew up that way, this bird was awesome, my guest said it was the most succulent turkey they have ever had. ( used just a few small chips of cherry at the start of the cook)
Sorry for the long post.
Happy New Year,
New Bob Ü