Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New England Boiled Dinner

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Gang -
Know this is a little late, but some of you asked for an after action report on my 1st attempt at corning my own beef brisket, & better late than never. After lots of research, & consideration of the generous input of BGE forum members, I elected to go with a dry pack/rub rather than brining this time around. General consensus seems to be that this method produces a saltier, & perhaps spicier product than brining, but I figured that since the brisket was going to undergo an extended simmer for New England Boiled Dinner, that a lot of the corning essence would go into the broth, & make for a good veggie cook. Rub was simple - 1/2 cup each of brown sugar & Kosher salt, mixed with 5 tablespoons Penzys' corned beef spice (coarse ground). Rubbed & packed the 4.15 lb brisket, put in a vacum bag, & let sit between 2 cutting boards w/brick weight on top in fridge for 5 days - turning daily. Rinsed, soaked 1 hour in cold water, & then slo-simmered 3.5 hrs. Removed brisket to covered dish w/some fluid & put in warm oven - cooked veggies (rudabaga, potatos, carrots, boiling onions, & of course cabbage)in broth, adding each veggie at it's appopriate time. Served with traditional mustard & horseradish condiments. Results were excellent - beter than I had hoped for. Great flavor & texture - only thing I'd change next time is that I would change the water at least once during the slo-simmer, as the brisket was still quite salty, altho not unpleasantly so - & I should point out that I don't normally use a lot of salt in/on much of anything, so do as your preference dictates. That's it - really easy, & great flavor. Next attempt will be a smoked/pastramied corn beef; have taken some of the advice I got to heart, & will not forget it. For New Years it's lookin' like Mr. Toad's Pork Loin....See Ya Later - ERIC