Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning my first butt cook. What is the "rule-of-thumb" (or "rule-of-butt")with regard to the people-per-pound a butt will feed. How many for a 7 pound butt? I guess all butts have bones so I guess I will net about 5 pounds. Will this feed 10 people?[p]I plan to allow 22 hours hoping for 20. Does that sound about right? I have been printing all of the posts I can find and I hope I have gotten it sorted out.

Comments

• Don,
    I'm relatively inexperienced with BB cooks/pulled pork--just have 3 under my belt so far in the last 12 months (sacrilege!)--- but I can tell you this, if you're doing most of what you've collected here info-wise...you'll have some killer food on the table that will disappear rapidly. Hope you've got some substantial sides for the crowd.
    Don't forget the massive amounts of quality beer and remember to pass the hat for the taxi fund!!
    Happy Holidaze
    Big Murth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Don,
    For healthy meatlovers, figure 1/2 pound of finished product per person. You probably net more like 4 pounds if is a bone-in. 20 hours is a good guess at 225. Maybe 15 at 250. [p]Just some semi-educated guesses! Enjoy the cook, it is hard to screw up a butt.[p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Don,
    From the "Pros" over on the Kansas City BBQ Forum that Butt could loose between 40 to 50% of its weight. You could end up with about 3.5 pounds of pulled pork. [p]Nature Boy is right on if ones plans for left overs. For catering plan one 3 to 4 ounces per person. Oh yes save some for me. Enjoy!
    Fireball

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Fireball,
    Good thing my last party wasn't catered! 7 guys polished off a 7.5 pound butt and a 6 pound brisket, and were pickin at the scraps on the cutting board.[p]3-4 oz. is the typical catering plan?? ONLY ONE SAMMICH FOR YOU!! hehe[p]Hope the holdays are going well for you out in the midwest!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Nature Boy,
    Going well here,no snow and green grass, However I don't have to mow mine. My wife travels for a living and likes clear roads.[p]Yes only one for you. 4 ozs. if one is generous. I never stop at one. It is more like 3 to 4 Sammichs. How many beers disappeared?[p]Happy Holidays to you and all your family. And Happy Holidays to the huge BGE family.
    Fireball