Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made it through the Night!

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Butt20011216.jpg
<p />Actually I put this butt on the BGE at 1pm yesterday afternoon. It's now 5:30am as I opened the lid for the first time. The temp probe was inserted and the picture was taken - I really believe in C~W's "leave the lid closed" theory.[p]In the last 16.5 hours, the dome temp hasn't changed by more than a few degrees off the 215 mark. The internal temp is now at 181 degrees. When I opened for the picture and probe, I opened the vents a little and will now let the dome temp rise to the 240-250 range![p]And would you believe, right after the PP comes off, a batch of Gfw's Black Bean Chili goes on.[p]Looks like PP for breakfast, Life is GOOD! :~}[p]
[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Gfw,
    Don't you just love it when things turn out like they're supposed to...

• Gfw
    Options
    PP_20011215.jpg
    <p />Spring Chicken, and as you can tell from the picture, it did turn out great - and yes, I had a little PP for breakfast! [p]Have a great Day! :~}

• Gfw
    Options
    IMG_0051.JPG
    <p />An hour (19.5 hours total) after extracting the butt form the egg, I removed the grids, drip pan and fire bricks. I wanted to see just how much lump was left - my guess is that we could have kept on going for another 2-3 hours without any trouble.[p]The really interesting part is that I started with a 'going' fire that had been used for the hot wings. After removing the wings, I closed all the vents for about 1/2 an hour to bring the temp down, added new lump, the grids, fire bricks and the Boston Butt. [p]Not bad for a MEDIUM! :~}

[ul][li]BB to PP[/ul]
  • Gfw,
    Why do you wait to put the probe in? I never open the lid from the time I put it on, until the butt's done. With the NU-701 I stick one in the butt, and lay one on the grill next to it set for a low temp alarm. Close the lid, go to bed and don't worry about unless the alarm goes off.[p]K

• Gfw
    Options
    Kermit, probably only because it give me a reason to open and see what's happening :~}

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    Options
    Gordon, that explains the blue haze hanging over Hickory Grove Road for two days now! On the way out this morning your neck of the woods was looking like the Smokey mountains. Going to be BGE pizza tonight here...YUM!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.