Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham advice

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am preparing a ham for a party next weekend and I would like some advice on what I should be doing. Most hams I see in the stores are already smoked and cooked...just reheat and serve. I don't think I want that. On the other hand I could get a fresh ham but will that turn out like pulled pork.[p]I would really appreciate some suggestions on how much time I should allot to this cook.[p]Graham

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    GJ,[p]I am not much of a ham eater so I have never done one myself. I do know that unless you cook it to 190-200 deg it will not be pullable. Most hams are cooked to lower temps which allows carving/slicing - if you take it up to 200 deg internal, then I have read here where folks did "pull" it for pulled pork. Many have c=had good results in just reheating hams with a touch of smoke for the time it takes to get to the temp on the serving directions. [p]Others will have more, I am sure.[p]Tim
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    GJ,[p]Although I have never smoked a fresh ham, I frequently "Egg" a precooked one for parties. Sam's Club carries an excellent fully cooked and spiral sliced ham with a brand name that has the word "valley" in it. If you follow the directions on the package for reheating and use your Egg instead of the oven, it will pick up just a nice hint of smoke using simply fresh lump. Even comes with package of a tasty glaze mix.[p]IMHO, these hams are every bit the equal or better of what you get in the specialty hame stores and a great bargain. Very easy also. As I recall, just a couple of hours at 325* to an internal temp of 150* for a 10-12 pounder.[p]K~G

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    GJ,[p]Not 100% certain of this but a fresh ham has not been brined and therefore it is really just a big old piece of pork? I may be WAY off base here but I know that to turn pork into ham you have to brine it for several days/weeks to actually turn it INTO a ham. Please excuse my stupidity on the subject but thought I'd throw this in just in case. If I'm off my rocker on this one it won't be the first time. Corrections on this are greatly appreciated.[p]Troy
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    GJ, Sprinter is right. If you want it to taste like the hams you are used to you will need to cure it, which isn't impossible but a little bit labor intensive. I bought a half a pig and told the meat cutter to leave my hams alone so I could smoke them myself. They are similar to pork loins. I cooked mine at 325 until internal of 170 and sliced. I think you can go low and slow on these and they'll be pullable, but not as good as a butt or shoulder. If you want traditional ham flavor, a Cooks brand bone in ham is one of the best and reasonably priced. Should be on sale now for the X-mas holiday. Whatever you decide I'm sure you and your guests will enjoy it.
    Good Luck---Painter

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Dang, can't wait for the new Sam's club to open here in Fredericksburg sometime next year. We are getting a Super Sam's (not sure what that is) and a Cosco (sp?), I have heard wonderful things about both.[p]There was a local TV news show here last week where they cut up pieces of various hams and had fireman test and rate them (I guess they eat a lot of ham). They had some fancy ham that cost 4x a normal ham as well as a Honey Baked ham and one from the local grocery store. The fancy one rated dead last of the 4 hams they tested - no surprise. The Honey Baked came in 1st. I have to try reheating one on the Egg someday soon, I don't get any at the parties I go to.[p]Tim
  • FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Options
    Tim M,you will love both .the Costco is a great place but Sam's also has its advantages.