Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken & Corn Chowder

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made chicken and corn chowder last night and it turned out great. I kind of threw together a recipe from ones I've read online and suggestions I got here (thanks to those who replied here and emailed me).[p]I started out by removing the husks and silk from four ears of sweet corn and grilling them direct. My goal was to get them nicely charred on the outside. I grilled them at around 300, mainly with the dome open, for just a few minutes. Then I took them off and put them aside.[p]Next grilled three boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I used a simple rub of just salt, pepper and garlic powder. These I cooked just a few minutes a side at around 350-400, just to get them some nice searing and flavor.[p]Then I cooked 4 slices of bacon in a large pot at medium heat (on the stove - that's where the rest of the cooking took place). While the bacon was rendering I chopped one onion and one red bell pepper. I removed the bacon and cooked the vegetables in the bacon fat. While that was cooking, I peeled and cubed three baking potatoes. I also removed all of the corn from the cobs with a knife. I added the potatoes to the onion and pepper and let it cook a few minutes, mainly to absorb some of the flavor. I added the corn and enough chicken brother to cover everything. I cut up the chicken, added that, some more broth, a bay leaf and a pinch of thyme.[p]I brought that to a boil, lowered the heat, covered it and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes. I tasted it a couple of times and only added a little salt and pepper.[p]When I was ready to eat I stirred in a half pint of heavy cream and added the reserved (and crumbled) bacon. It was a nice, hearty soup, and I bet reheated tonight leftovers will be even better. It had a nice smokey taste, but I don't know if that was from the grilled chicken and corn or the bacon.[p]I think next time I'll add some celery and maybe other vegetables. There are all kinds of possibilities with this kind of soup.

Comments