Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Prime Rib Recipe Please

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know if a 6 pound prime rib would cook up good in the egg?
if so a recipe with times and temp would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Daniel,
    Oh yes. The egg will do wonders with that prime rib. I usually just throw a coating of black pepper, a dusting of kosher salt, and maybe garlic powder. Then I cook it indirect at 375-400 until it reaches 130-135 internal for medium rare. I prefer it simple. [p]There are some excellent recipes floating around if you want to get fancier, and lots of expertise out there. Others should be chiming in soon.
    Cheers, and Happy Thanksgiving!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Daniel,[p]Sounds good to me! here's my prep that I've done (24 hour Marinade)[p]6 lb. Prime Rib de-boned
    injected with red wine, Olive oil & Pineapple Juice
    Rubbed outside with minced garlic, cracked peppercorn, salt and ground ginger[p]Mmmm, MMmmm good. So looks like we'll be eggin tomorrow huh Dan?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Daniel:[p]Crank your BGE up to about 600º and sear all sides. Then adjust the vents for a 250º or so cook (the cooker will slowly drop temperature while cooking) and let the rib roast cook bones down for an internal of 120º (if you like it rare) pull, and rest covered for about five minutes and serve. If you like it medium pull at 125º and let rest for about five minutes before serving.[p]As far as preparation, you can use salt and pepper, seasoning salt, or what ever you like.
  • Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for that info.. timewise how long would that take to cook?[p]Thanks.
  • Nature Boy
    Van,
    I really can't remember exactly! My guess would be not much over an hour. I am sure others can get you closer more accurate numbers.[p]Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    Sounds like a good way to go about it. I will try that on my next one. 125 is medium??
    Happy Tday!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Daniel, Dr Chicken's recipe is a winner. Ok to use coarse kosher salt instead of rock salt and for your 6 pounder add a couple egg whites to the paste to make the shell easier to pop off when done. And no, it doesn't come out all salty like you may think...the salt acts like a sealer to keep the juices in by creating a shell. Cut and paste this:
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/newRecipes/beef0141.htm

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]For a medium bone-in rib roast, pull at 125º, rest covered with foil for about five minutes, and it will rise to your previously stated 130º or so. I like bone-in as they seem to have more flavor.

• Daniel,
    If I'm not to late with this post.
    You may want to try recipe in the link below.
    Super juicy and delish...delish!
    Happy T-day.
    B D

[ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]