Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE withdrawal symptoms!

Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ya'all know we must be crazy! Nothin' else could explain it![p]The other evening I sat with my whole extended family (sisters, brothers, brother-in-laws, sister-in-laws, nieces, nephews and my son) at what is considered one of the "premier" restaurants in Southern California. All the time, thinkin' I could do a lot better at cookin' steaks than what they did! After driving 29+ hours straight thru to get home, I still had the urge to git ta cookin' on the Egg! I cooked ribeyes for din-din last night and they melted in your mouth! A far cry from the $20.00 plus ones we had at the restaurant! Then, I fixed ribs (pulled the membrane) for my favorite marinade and got them into da fridge. They'll go on about 1pm today.(I still aint come up with a rub, that will replace this marinade! It's out there, I know, but I ain't found it yet!)[p]We either got ta be da craziest of da crazy's or dem other people jist don't know what der missin'! My son told 'em all, "If you want a "real" steak or ribs, come out to Kansas and let Dad fix you some!" "You'll never be satisfied with anything else, after that!" After last night, I know he knew what he was talkin' about! [p]I missed ya'all dis past week, but I was glad to see ya carried on wid out me! I also seen we finally got da KOC convinced that brineing can really be a "plus"! I thought fer awhile, Cat, C~W and me wuz gonna have ta take a sledge hammer after da boy! Good to see we won't have ta exzert dat energy after all![p]I gotta go finish catchin' up on da forum and see wat udder trouble da KOC got hisself into! It's good to be home, and back to keepin' up with all you other "Crazy's"! Hope ya'all have a good Egg'in' weekend! [p]Dr. Chicken

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Dr. Chicken,
    Welcome back, and I know what you be sayin!
    I have a new guideline I follow when going out to eat:
    If the restaurant is not famous for it's steak, or ribs, or other Q....stick with the non BBQ menu items. Fresh pasta. Pan seared fish, or whatever you don't cook on the egg.
    Works for me![p]Enjoy being home again, and have a blast with those ribs.
    I did Cat's babybacks last night in a rib rack, direct 225-250 for 3 and a half hours. OOoooooooh doggy dem was good.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Great to have ya back! [p]I know exactly what you're saying as we have got to the point where it is hard to find a good place to eat any more. We used to think those places were so good before we got the egg. Nope, we are not crazy, we just appreciate good food.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bob,
    Nicely done and I echo your thoughts..Welcome back Dave.

• Nature Boy,
    I thinks I'm gona make the same rigid requirements as you & Bob! It may be a little confining, but at least I won't be disappointed by their in-house "specialties"! These people would "freak" out if they ever had some vittles cooked on an Egg by someone on dis forum! When KOC & Guru open der restaurant with only Egg cooked meals, it will set the world on fire![p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Dr. Chicken,
    Italian places are good. Not a lot of grilled stuff. Veal Marsala with white wine and shrooms is always worth going out for if you go to the right place. (at least til someone develop a method for egged veal marsala in a cast iron pan). Pizza and Calzones...no reason to go out fer them.[p]Yep, the picture is pretty bleak for eating out.[p]The Humpty Restaurant idea is very tempting. Even with a simple menu, you could probably regularly pack the joint with people. I'll do your logo and menu. I think I'll stay clear of the restaurant biz tho. Tempting.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dr. Chicken, if restaurants knew what we know,, they'd probably try to buy up all the eggs and dealers. This little piece or ceramic is deadly to the survival of restaurants. Anyone who has eaten from the egg, has a totally different outlook on how they judge good food. We missed you and I'm glad to hear you missed us. Did you feel like you intellectual growth ceased while away from the forum? Well it may have.. Just think how behind you got. Come on! We'll let you catch up. :^)

• King-O-Coals,
    I'M STUFFED! Whew! Dem ribs did da job! Fall off da bone tender too! Andy came over for dinner and he came up wid another good one! "Dad why do you put up with restaurant food, when you can cook this good?" Sometimes we don't have a choice! Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! It's worth repeatin' a few times!
    I need that recipe for the Angels-on-horse-back & the Lady Godivas! Tomorrow though! I'm gona crash now! This cold's about to kick my butt!
    It is definitly good to be back home and with all you Crazy's![p]Later, Dr. Chicken