Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome thermometer risk

Options
TF1
TF1 Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do I run the risk of "punturing" the bird with the dome thermometer if I cook a 20lb turkey on an evevated suface? ie...using firebricks to elevate/ or inverted platesetter?....thanks for your insights

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Options
    TF1,
    The dome thermometer is kinda long, so if you fill the dome with a big bird like that, you might want to to play it safe and slide the thermometer out an inch or more. Just remove it and place something like a couple of nuts and washers in between the face and the dome before clamping it back into place. [p]I found a spool of aluminum pipe hanger material thats about an inch wide and perforated every 3/4 inch, I cut off and bent up a piece that holds my thermometer nicely.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I use half of a wine cork. Works for me.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    TF1, the easiest way is to just take the clamp off the thermometer. If it hits the bird it will push it out and you can see how much it has pushed it. I use a full wine cork and no clamp and it works great. Also, it makes it easy to switch from mini to medium.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    TF1,
    What I do is set the "clamp" way down low on the thermo probe. That way I can run it full in, or pull it full out. When I load Mr. Big, I pull the thermo out. If I know I'm going to do something flat (brisket, for example) I leave it full in. (Gretl's wine cork is an excellent addition to your arsenal. Since I don't drink any more (or any less :-)) I use a cork from the hardware store, drilled lengthwise. Makes a most excellent standoff, so you don't end up reading the temp of the dome.