Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Tip Shark Loin - How to cook?

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have a Black TIp Shark Loin we would like to cook on the BGE tonight. Has anyone cooked shark and have any suggestions? I have heard high heat and not on very long, but really have no experience with shark on the egg.
Mike

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]EagerEgger,[p]Shark steaks cook very similar to swordfish and tuna. I can't say I've ever done a loin - or seen one for that matter. What size is it?

Shark steak is very good seared and cooked to about medium.

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Fidel, This one is small, right at a pound (just the two of us here ). I have a fish on the grill book and will try to look something up there also.
    Mike[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    ive never cooked it, but its great as kabobs with pineapple, maybe make an orange glaze with orange juice, brown sugar, and a little soy sauce, that would work for me. some shark has an off taste depending on variety and how quickly it was dressed and iced, so a sweet glaze would be good.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I ordered it once at a restaurant. OFF TASTE! It tasted and smelled like ammonia. Never again.[p]That one was terrible, but they say they can be delicious.[p]Good luck, but be ready.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    probably wasnt black tip, and if it sits to long before ice thats exactly what you get. the common shark around here is blue shark, we dont eat them for that reason, its to bad too cause you can catch a couple dozen hundred pounders on any trip in august september. still fun to catch

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it