Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef brisket advice

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
<a href=
<p />I have an 8lb brisket on as I type. Got her stabalized at 250 using pressomin,muskidine and sasafrass wood for smoke. As you can see I had to cut point and flat to get it to fit on my med. Egg.(Some one plese correct me if I called the 2 parts of brisket wrong as I am just learning) Shot it up last night with Dales marinade and then stuck each in a ziplock with 2 more oz Dales and 1/2 can Coke and put in frig. flat meat side down.Removed from bags this afternoon and rinsed. Before putting on Egg I made a rub of 2 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Coated both sides and placed in Egg fat side down with wireless thermometer in thickest part of thin piece. (flat?) Any sugestions on how to cook this thing? Was planing to cook till flat was 190 degrees,remove and stick in thick piece (point?) till it is 190 and remove. Wrap in foil and set for couple hrs.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,[p]Your pic did not post, maybe try again.....[p]Never even heard of the first two woods and I don't guess I ever tried the third.[p]I've learned to be careful with the Dales, measuring it in small quantities. It is very salty, and has a fair amount of MSG in it. I wish the soy sauce flavor was toned down a bit so the other spices could stand out. Is there ginger and paprika in there too?? [p]Cutting Dales with Coke is the recommended procedure, so you are on the right track there. Also be prepared for a great smoke ring. Bodacious could even be used to describe it.....[p]Your rub and your barbecue technique both sound good. (double check the tenderness at 190°, to make sure it's right) Lets hear a review and see some finished pictures of this cook.[p]~thirdeye~
    [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    thirdeye, Going to try and repost the pic. Meat has reached 165 degrees on flat and holding. Looked at them threw the daisy wheel and looks GOOOOOD! I am alittle concerned it might be too salty also so I cut back alittle on salt in rub and washed meat after the overnight soak in Dales but it might still be to salty.

[ul][li]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee235/JLOCKHART29/bris.jpg[/ul]
  • thirdeye,My spelling isn't to great I had my wife respell it. PERSIMMON (POSSUM EAT THEM),MUSCADINE (GRAPE TO MAKE WINE OUT OF) for the smoke woods.

• thirdeye
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,[p]The pic looks good. Thanks for getting me squared away on the wood.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    JLOCKHART29, Well took me longer to get her done than I expected. 8 1/2 hrs. for the flat and 9 hrs for the point. Pulled them at 185 degrees meat temp. reather than the 190 I had planed. By 1:30 am this morning I was about to pass out as I had been up since 2:15 am that morning. Glad I did cause the were done. In fact if I were to use meat for slicing and eating as is would pull at 180 meat temp. Anyway the were GREAT!! Not to salty at all. Just right. I do not like beef particularly. I'm a pork man but I find myself opening up the frig and cutting a slice cold to eat all day.

[ul][li]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee235/JLOCKHART29/RIBS1007.jpg[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    Options
    JLOCKHART29,[p]Glad it worked out for you. The effect of marinades sometimes takes an adjustment or two to get it where you want it. Good job.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~