Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chunk Questions

nestler
nestler Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a few questions about using wood chunks.[p]1. soak them or not?[p]The front of the bag of wood chunks says to soak them for an hour before use. However, I have seen a number of posts that say not to soak them at all. Is there a consensus on whether or not soaking is a good idea?[p]2. chunk placement for long cooks[p]I have always added the wood chunks on top of the lit coals (after the starter has burned out). However, the thin blue smoke column always seems to stop after an hour or two into the cook. I have also noticed that the fire seems to grow down (instead of sideways), so maybe I should bury a chunk a couple of inches below the starter cube to prevent the smoke from stopping so early?[p]Thanks

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    nestler,
    No need to soak the chunks in a BGE. The reason you can control temperature (air flow control) is the reason that the smoking wood will not actively burn. [p]I had not thought about putting the wood vertically into the lump, but that would be worth a test.

• nestler,[p]Don't soak them[p]Start the lump in more than one place. Three places off center is good.[p]Bury the chunks near where you will be lighting the lump[p]Don't worry about the visable smoke disappearing. Go by flavor. Smoke flavor builds throughout the cook.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    nestler,
    no need to soak them!![p]i usually place some lump in then some chunks and then some lump then some chunks. and keep doing that until you have your egg loaded as much as you want.[p]so i just place them throughout my lump.[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb