Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humble Pig Candy Beginin's

Whack Masterson
Whack Masterson Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Received 36+ lbs of skin on pork bellies today in addition to 14 pounds of skin off pork bellies PigCandyprep1.jpg.[p]After slicing, mixing cure, dry rubbing and packaging in big ol' ziplocks, it makes for around 10 square feet of bellies.
PigCandyprep2.jpg[p]Don't worry, I am not curing and cooking the cat in the upper left. That is a different post entirely.[p]I will be curing all this week, then cold (not on the egg) and hot (on the egg) smoking next weekend. I will post pictures of the finished slabs and of some true pig candy.

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Whack Masterson,
    Wow. You sure have your hands full. I'm curious about pig candy; I've read how to make it, and it seems to look great. I'm hoping to sample some at Eggfest. What I'm curious about is, is it possible to use a food saver bag and store it or would it just not be good that way? Thanks.

• Big'un,
    In all honesty, it never lasts more than about 30 seconds once off the egg. I always have to count my fingers when distributing it to the kids (and the wife too for that matter). I would think though, if you let it cool and food saver'd it, you would probably be successful. My concern would be a texture thing, it might not have the crunch of fresh off the grill bacon. But, I would guess it would have all of the smokey, sweet, salty goodness.[p]Have fun at Eggfest, I alas, can not go.[p]Whack

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Whack Masterson,
    Thanks. If "crunchy" is a major component, then it I guess it wouldn't work. Don't forget to post pics of your fingers as well.Haha. I've got an 11yr & 8yr old. It does sometimes feel like I'm pulling back a nub at feeding time too.LOL. Appreciate the info.

• Big'un,
    I feel your pain man. I have wielded power tools for over 15 years and never feared for my fingers as much as when my two little darlings smell sizzling bacon. Most badgers would hang their heads in shame at the feral stares I get....[p]You could probably re-crisp the vacupacked bacon in an oven quickly come to think of it. I have done similar when cooking lots of bacon for the masses. Could be worth a try.