Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Makerel help

HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got some fresh Makerel. How long and what temp? direct or inderect? Any special seasoning?
Thanks
Al

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    HungryMan,
    I copied this from google and made changes as needed. I looove smoked mullet, and makerel is similar. This how I would do it.[p]SPANISH MACKEREL, SMOKED [p]1 gallon water
    1 cup salt
    2 pounds Florida Spanish mackerel, butterfly fillets*
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    [p]Combine water and salt; stir until salt is dissolved.
    Marinate fish in brine for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
    Remove fish from brine and pat dry. I sprinkle some lemon-pepper on the fish as well.[p][p]TO SMOKE FISH: Indirect w/ hickory. Place fish on a well-oiled grate, skin side down, Baste well with oil before and during cooking(I like to use the "PAM" spray). Close hood and smoke fish for 1 hour at 150 to 175 degrees F or for 30 minutes at 200 degrees F. Add remaining chips as needed to keep fire smoking. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork. [p]I think you'll get good results this way.