Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Six Filets and a Thermapen

TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK Guys......
I just bought a whole beef butt filet and cut it into 6 steaks each 1 3/4 inches thick. I'll be cooking them on my lg BGE this evening for a special occasion. Needless to say I really need these to come out perfect.[p]I received my Thermapen from Molly a few days ago. I cleaned out the egg and loaded it with fresh Ozark Oak, I also have all necessary eggsessaries so I'm armed and ready to cook.[p]Questions:
Should I plan on T-Rexing them OR use a different method?[p]What internal temp (on Thermapen) should I cook each steak to achieve the right results for rare, med-rare, medium, medium-well.....?[p]This cook is extremely important to me, so your suggestions and expertise are truly appreciated.[p]Thank You!
Tony [p]

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Tiger Tony,
    First, make sure you burn that fresh lump until the white smoke dissipates before cooking your steaks. [p]I cook until 130-135 for med rare. After sitting for a few minutes, the temp will raise a bit more than that. You can interpolate from there to get temps for the other values of doneness. (I'd try 125-30 for rare, 145 for med, etc.) [p]These are just what I found works for me. If you do a Google search for temps you will find slightly higher values.[p]http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=129&id=906

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Tiger Tony,[p]I would absolutely TRex them. They'll turn out great. With filets I do not use as much salt as the TRex method indicates since it is such a delicate flavor to begin with. I do a very very light coating of mustard and just a pinch of kosher salt and a bit of fresh cracked black pepper. I sear them for 1:45 per side then rest and finish per the TRex instructions. The seasoning is totally a personal preference, but I have good luck with it.

I like my filets rare plus and pull them at about 123-125 internal.[p]My wife likes medium rare and I pull hers at 132-135. The 10 degree difference usually amounts to about 3 minutes during the final roasting step. I have had a couple people ask for medium and pull those at about 140. I have never cooked a steak past medium.[p]Cooking so many steaks to different degrees of doneness will give you an instant appreciation of the Thermapen. You'll likely want to thank Mollyshark again after this experience.

• Tiger Tony, Can someone explain what "T-Rex" refers to?

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Dr. Jim,
    Here ya go: Everything you need to know abot the T-Rex steak method.[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm[p]I've T-Rexed many of ribeyes and NY strips. They come out wonderful.
    Tonight it's Filets........

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Dr. Jim, Back in time when prehistoric monsters roamed the earth, a dinosaur was swept up in the massive outflow of lava from an erupting volcano. Soon, carnivores arrived with forks & knives and enjoyed what came to be known as a T-Rex feast. Later on, barbecue sauce became popular when a tomato-throwing contest turned ugly during a competetive, cooking event. After that came wine, beer, lighter fluid, napkins, styrofoam, etc., etc., etc.[p]Rascal[p]