Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken firebox

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone suffer a broken firebox? I noticed a small crack, then investigated and found the entire top of the firebox had broken and separated at the holes from the bottom. Egg is a large, 6 yrs old, never abused (temps never over 750), and we egg 3-4 times a week. Is this normal wear and tear, or heat issue. Thanks for any help. Enjoy the Chili Cook off!!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Cliff,[p]Happens to almost all of them over time. It is just effect of the natural expansion due to heat. Mine has had hairline cracks for quite some time but works fine. I only remove it about once a year or so and put it back together like a puzzle when I put it back into the egg. It holds the fire grate and lump with no issues.[p]As long as it stays together and holds lump you are fine. It is a warranty item so if you are having problems with it contact your dealer for a replacement.
  • Fidel,
    Thanks. I had it replaced for free ($134), but could have done like you did. Always did like puzzles. Anyhow, guess its good for another 6 yrs. Thanks again.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    Cliff,
    don't be broken hearted if this one doesn't last another 6 years. Broken fire boxes are quite common, but as long as all the parts and pieces are still in place it works fine. My large box has been in 3 pieces for 3 or 4 years. My dealer will replace it when need be so I don't worry about it.

• Cliff,
    To add to this discussion I got a replacement firebox and ring years ago, and it still sits untouched in my basement. The cracked one works as new as Fidel stated. I will only use the new one only if for some strange reason the old one shatters in enough pieces were it is unusable.
    ST

• RRP,
    Thanks for all great advice. I am resting easier. 3 pieces for 3 years doesn't bother me, so as long as it holds lump, we're good to go. Happy egging. Ribs today for football, Filet last night on new fire box. Works like the old one!! Thanks again to all.