Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Squirrel on the egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any hunters out there who have advice for grilling sqirrel on the egg. It is very lean and sometimes tough if cooked quickly. I don't want to dry them out but I also want them tender. And no-this is not a joke. Thanks for any advice. eggun

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    eggun,[p]See earlier posting from this week:
    [ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/wwwboard/messages/421954.shtml[/ul]
  • Jeeves,
    That's great and all but it's boiled not grilled. Certainly somebody out there has some experience cooking tree rats.

• eggun,
    since the squirrel is an active beast, I think stewing would be the most successful method. This coming from the wife of a guy who had me up at the hunting camp shooting red squirrels because they drove out the greys, which are, in his words "good eatin'". [p]But if you want to bbq them, here is a recipe, untested by me. I eat no tree rats. [p]BBQ Squirrel
    1st. Take as many squirrels as you would like add salt and pepper. 2nd. Put squirrels on grill, bbq whatever let cook for a while, then add some liquid smoke or soy sauce on top and around squirrels. (NOTE, this is the actual recipe, you can add some hickory or maple wood, ignore the barbarism of liquid smoke) 3rd. When the squirrels are almost done cooking smear BBQ sauce all over the squirrels and let cook until done...( you can use any BBQ sauce you would like or you can try recipe located at below) [p]BBQ SAUCE FOR SQUIRREL
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 1/2 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup mustard
    3/4 cup liquid smoke or worcestershire sauce
    ( you can add as much or as little sugar as you want)

• PS you might try parboiling the squirrel. This is a common tactic for game:[p]~ 4 squirrels, quartered
    ~ 3 tbsp salt
    ~ 2 tsp pepper
    ~ 1 tsp garlic powder
    ~ 1 tsp onion powder
    ~ your favorite dry rub
    ~ 15 charcoal briquets
    ~ 3 handfuls hickory chips
    ~ your favorite bbq sauce [p]
    In a large pot, boil the squirrel in water seasoned with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder for 1 hour or until tender.[p]In the meantime, soak the hickory chips in water. Light the charcoal and let them get white hot. Place them to one side of your grill.[p]Remove the squirrel from the water and pat dry. Coat with your favorite dry rub.[p]Add wood chips to the hot coals.[p]Place squirrel on grill across from the hot coals. Cover and smoke for 1 hour. Add a handful of wood chips every half hour.