Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip question

Shishkaknob
Shishkaknob Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found some tri-tip up here in Canada. First time trying to cook this cut. I've read the instructions on Thirdeye's site and a reverse T-Rex method is detailed there in method one.
My question is this...
The meat looks like it has the potential to be a bit on the tough side.
The grain looks stringy. I've seasoned it using simple Santa Maria seasonings (pepper, salt, garlic powder,...skipped the parsley).
I'm wondering if I cook it at medium temps followed by a sear if it could be too tough. Has anyone tried lower temps for a longer period of time? [p]Thanks,[p]John

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Shishkaknob, I always have done mine slow (250 dome)till 125, then rest 15 minutes covered in foil, then sear at the as I like it. Tri tip is a great meat to eat, Mine have always been very tender, you do need to cut slices across the grain, nothing beats a cold tri tip sandwich the next day, or even cut right off the roast!!

• Shishkaknob,[p]I'm cooking tri-tip for 40 people tomorrow. This has become my favorite red meat. It's lean [healthful], and tastes wonderful, both hot and later in cold sammies.[p]Study the grain of the meat. Notices that it changes directions. Cut thin against the grain and you won't have any toughness problems.[p]I rub [to create a crust]...
    Rest, wrapped in fridge
    Sear each side for 2 min
    Roast @ 350 until inside is 125F to 130F
    Wrap in foil for min 30 min --[p]Slice and serve...[p]This is incredibly yummy stuff! Ya sorta wish you could go back in a time machine and thank the steer.[p]Best Wishes![p]~ Broc

• Shishkaknob,[p]I've only seared in the beginning, but trust me....[p]It's not a tough piece of meat. I think the grain makes it look like it is. It's going to really surprise you.[p]Good luck.

• Shishkaknob,
    Everyone is all over the board on cooking. But, 1 thing is consistent. Pull at 125.
    Pics and let us know how it turns out.

Mike

• BTW --[p]Try using Tri-Tip for Philly Steak Sandwiches... The best bun I can find around here is a pretty good hoagie bun...[p]Provolone...[p]Topped with caramelized onion, peppers and mushrooms...[p]Oh, yeah![p]~ B[p]
  • Car Wash Mike,
    Alright Mike. I'll see what happens and I'll let you know.
    Off to take some pics of the raw stuff now.[p]Cheers,[p]John

• DynaGreaseball,[p]Cool. We'll try it and I'll let you know how it works out.[p]Cheers,[p]John
  • Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]Thanks Broc. Its appreciated too.[p]Cheers,[p]John
  • Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]If I have leftovers, I'll give that a whirl.[p]Thanks again Broc.[p]John
  • tach18k,[p]Thanks Tach. I've got so many different methods to try. I'll just have to keep practising until I nail it ;)[p]Cheers,[p]John
  • Shishkaknob,[p]Tri-Tip doesn't take practice -- You'll nail it on your first cook! Really. Prepare and serve it any way you want. Just pull it at 125F - 130F and wrap...[p]You're in for a surprise -- You won't believe you did this! You'll become the Star of the Show![p]Really![p]Home Run![p]As in...[p]...Grand Slam![p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]You still don't believe me... huh?[p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]You can't screw up![p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]Enjoy, Amigo![p]
  • Shishkaknob,[p]The thing about Tri-Tip (my opinion), is you want a somewhat crunchy crust. Some people call it bark. If you cook it at a lower temperature, you won't be able to get that. I've probably cooked a hundred or so Tri-Tip and found TRex to be the best technique...but that's my opinion. I've tried it with many rubs and found that sea salt and cracked pepper works great for me.
  • Shishkaknob,[p]On the fat side, you will notice a purple dot...don't be alarmed, it's only a gland.

• Shishkaknob,[p]This is my new favorite red meat. I have cooked it twice and have been real happy. Both times I rubbed them, seared them, then roasted off at 400. Also, I like to paint them with somthing tasty the last 5 min on each side. Here are the pics of the 1st two cooks:[p]
    Second Cook:

100_1108.jpg[p]
    100_1110.jpg[p]First Cook[p]100_1077.jpg[p]
    100_1078.jpg[p]

• Drive By Poster,
    Must've ate it....buuurrrrp.[p]Thanks for the heads up.[p]Cheers...John

• Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,
    It turned out great. You were right. I'm still gonna practice some more though. So much meat...so little time.[p]Cheers,[p]John