Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

used charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
when you use charcoal is it best to pull out the used charcoal then put in fresh then add the used on top or is it best to add the new on top of the used or does it make a difference. thanks for any advice

Comments

• ijd,[p]i just throw the new lump on top of the old, and sort of mix it around a little bit with the ash tool. [p]but whenever you put in fresh lump, make sure you burn off the VOCs (volatie organic compounds); otherwise, your food will taste bitter and acrid. you'll know when the VOCs are burned off when the smoke turns from white to either blue or clear. usually takes about 15 mintues or so. you do not have to burn off the VOCs with old, used lump, b/c the burn off for that has already happened. this is why i always fill the firebox to the top whenever i put fresh lump in....so that i don't have to wait for the VOCs to burn off for the the next 4 or 5 cooks (depending on what i'm making).
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    ijd,[p]This morning I pulled all the old out, because there were lots of little (hole blocking size) pieces in there. I put the biggest new pieces on the bottom, then the medium sized ones, then I put the old, mostly little ones, on the top. Sure helps keep the holes in the grate free to draw air.[p]Also I noticed that although I always re-use the un-burnt lump, it never really burns as good as it did when it was new, so I try to watch what per cent of each I use.[p]Hope that helps.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    ijd, I mix up the old to clear the ash from the grate then pour in the new stuff on top, nothing special.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    ijd,[p]I usually fill up to 3/4 of the fire ring and use the old lump until it gets to about 1 inch of the top air holes in the pit. I do quickly stir the old lump go get the small pieces through the bottom grate. I will get from 3 to 5 cooks until I add more fresh lump, I don't bother mixing used with new.[p]If I think I need some new lump I put it in. No mix just cook. If I am going to do a long cook I will then push the old lump to one side and put fresh at the bottom, then move the old from the other side on top of the new. Put some new in and slide some old over ontop of the second side.[p]Really it isn't something I worry about too much. I have not had any problems with temps low or high.[p]Possibly it is a case of beig fat, dump and happy.[p]Kent
  • guava greg
    Options
    ijd,[p]I just keep adding more and scoop out the bulk of ashes through vent. Save $$ on charcoal with minimal effort.[p]Greg