Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Bread Recipes

Dut
Dut Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm studying on stepping up the game and start making some breads. Would like a good starting point for bread and then moving up to sourdough, ciabatta, baguettes etc. [p]Thanks

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Dut,
    Probably the most complete book on bread making is Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads, good start. Just remember to have a clean fire going before baking. Great meeting you and your wife this weekend! -RP

• Dut
    Dut Posts: 81
    AZRP,[p]Thanks! I'll check it out. Great meeting y'all too. We plan on trying to attend a few more fest in the near future and look forward to meeting up with y'all again soon. [p]If you ever get tired of the Arizona heat, Fargo is a nice relief in January ;)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Dut,
    Bet you miss Alabama though. -RP

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Dut,[p]I have been baking bread for years and one tool that will make your life easy...is a good scale...[p]Another is a mixer...And I know a lot of people will chime in on this one..but

The Kitchen Aid mixers are very nice ..but if you want to make more than a loaf of a grain bread...than the KA's can burn up...[p]I use one but it is an older unit ...and I make sure to keep my hand on the speed knob...[p]If you are going to just make white bread or maybe some wheat bread than you will be fine...[p]If you really get into bread making than you will either want the Bosch or the Electrolux ...[p]I have a bread recipe that is easy..makes one loaf and I probably make 6 loaves a week because I have a lot of people who like it..[p]18 ounces of Bread Flour (about 3 3/4 - 3 7/8 cups)
    2 Tablespoons of Flax Meal or ground Flax seed
    1/4 ounce (7g) and envelope active dry yeast (1 1/2 teaspoon)
    1/3 ounce Salt (about 2 teaspoons fine grain)
    2 ounces of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil ( about 5 tablespoons)
    11 1/2 ounces Water ( just over 12fl oz)
    1 teaspoon buttermilk powder
    whole roasted garlic cloves.....(I usually roast 3 heads and use all of the cloves)

Mix everything together but leave out the garlic...It is a little sticky but that is fine ...I use my mixer...

Kneed for 7 mins....and then lightly fold in the garlic. This is the hardest part...

Then place in an oiled bowl (olive oil) cover with a damp rag and let rise till double...around 2 hours.

Punch down and shape... let rise again and bake at 475deg till done...I look for 190 deg internal temp...[p]I will omit the garlic and add olives...or just make the bread plain..[p]If you want something with a little more heft to it...I make this one several times a week. One slice in the morning will stay with you a long time..[p]BULGAR HONEY WHEAT BREAD

Combine:

3 cups boiling water
    1 cup dry bulgar wheat
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Mix well and set bowl aside to let wheat soak until it is lukewarm.

Mix Together:

1/4 cup warm water
    2 packages or 2 tablespoons yeast

This will be very thick. Let rest for 5 minutes or so then using a
    wisk mix into the wheat mixture until it is dissolved.

Gradually add in:

3 cups whole wheat flour
    2 tablespoons each; coarsely ground sunflower seeds, flax seed, and
    walnuts(I mix these into the flour before adding to dough)
    4 1/2 cups natural white bread flour

Knead until well combined, trying not to add extra flour. It will be
    just slightly sticky. ( I knead mine right in the bowl.)

Place in LARGE bowl oiled with more ev olive oil. Turn to coat well
    on all sides with the oil.

Run a clean large towel under the hot water tap to get wet and then
    wring out excess water and use the wet towel to cover the bowl. Place
    bowl in warm place to rise, ( I use my oven cuz it has a pilot light
    that keeps it nice and toasty) allow to rise to double its
    size...usually done in two hours. Then punch down, knead and shape
    into loaves and place into greased or sprayed loaf pans( 4 small or 2 [p]

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Dut,
    I have made a lot of bread and it is hard to beat this recipe for quality or for being easy! You can make it on the BGE, but it really does not add any value, becaue the key for this recipe is that you cook a relatively wet dough in a dutch oven (I use a porcelen lined, cast iron, covered pot -- about $40 at Target). Here is a picture of my last loaf and the recipe. There are a couple of links at the end of the message, but I have not tried them in a long time.[p]23-09-07Bread.jpg[p]Basic No-Knead Bread [p]3 cups bread flour (the above video used 1 cup (5 oz.) whole wheat flour and 2 cups (10 1/2 oz.) white bread flour
    1/4 tsp. instant yeast
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups purified or spring water[p]• Mix together the dry ingredients.
    • Mix in water until the water is incorporated.
    • Cover with plastic and let sit 18 hours.
    • Follow video instruction for folding.
    o On a well flowered board or counter, spread out roughly in a circle, fold in thirds in one direction and then again, in the other direction.
    o Alternately, just make a circle with the dough and fold to center from all four sides.
    o Could use wheat bran or cornmeal instead of flower.
    • Cover loosely with plastic and rest for 15 minutes.
    • Transfer to well floured towel or proofing basket – with folds facing up.
    • Cover with towel and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
    • Bake in covered La Cloche or Dutch oven preheated to 500 degrees for 30 minutes.
    • Remove cover; reduce heat to 450 degrees and bake an additional 15 minutes.
    • Let cool completely on rack. Consume bread, be happy.[p]
    • Comment from norts on Addicted to BBQ: I've been making this recipe for a couple of months now... It's so easy! And it turns out great! The only difference in recipes is that I do 30 minutes covered in the dutch oven at 450 instead of 500. Then 20 or so minutes at 450 uncovered... Here I go on color of crust more than time.
    • Can substitute 1 cup of whole wheat flour for part of the bread flour.[p]Further notes: This method of baking is quite forgiving if you alter the ingredients and proportions. One of the great things about a bread recipe that is so easy and involves just one loaf at a time is you don't feel like you're risking a lot if your experimenting goes awry. [p]Try using different flours and/or different proportions of flour and play around with the water measurement a little.[p]Sourdough No-Kneed Bread[p]The process of making a sourdough leavened no-knead loaf (at least the way I do it) is almost identical to the instant yeast variety. I just substitute 1/4 cup of sourdough starter for the 1/4 tsp. instant yeast. [p]Of course working with sourdough can alter things quite a bit depending on how wet you keep your starter and how healthy it is. Some starters are very liquidy and can be poured out of their containers. I keep mine pretty thick. It has to be spooned out of the jar. I go into quite a bit of detail on how I manage my starter in the various related videos. [p]Having said all that, here's the most basic recipe that I use quite frequently. [p]1 cup (5 oz.) whole wheat flour
    2 cups (10.5 oz.) white bread flour
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups purified water
    1/4 cup starter [p]The baking times and all that are the same as the basic no-knead method. So you can easily just watch that video but follow this recipe.[p]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evsdggMoBuM&NR=1[p]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU[p]also visit breadtopia.com

• icemncmth,
    There are larger sized Kitchen aids (mostly only in WHITE) that have bowls that raise and lower (not set on a socket) and these won't burn out. 6 1/2 quart is big enough to do heavy rye and you can find deals on the internet for these larger units.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    dover_gal,[p]I worked in a small repair shop and KA's were the one's that I worked on the most..the problem has been worked on by KA..the newer top modles have a new screw type dough hood and a better transmission. [p]6hat I am talking about is...In my DX I can do 6 loaves of heavy grain dough with nuts and the like...and it will work like a charm...[p]I have had 6 KA mixers and 4 of them were the one you are talking about...and they all burned up...[p]Like I said I still use a KA mixer and they are great machines...[p]I also have a 30 QT Hobart mixer...and it is dead..I need to replace the motor..[p]
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    I have a DX as well, and love it. My wife prefers to use the dough hook; I prefer the roller and scraper. I can't detect a difference in the outcome.[p]One thing I will recommend, though, is Jeffrey Hamelman's "Bread: a Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes". My wife had been making bread for years. This book brought it to a whole new level.[p]

[ul][li]Bread: a Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes[/ul]