Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged Chicken cordon bleu

Chipper
Chipper Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I got home from work yesterday, I had a pack of b/s chicken breasts thawed and waitng for my attention. Not wanting the same-old same-old, I started to rummage around the pantry and fridge looking for something different for these yard bird pieces. I came across some black forest ham and swiss cheese. Hmmmm!?! I pulled out the ham and cheese and the meat mallet. I then proceded to take out the days frustrations on the chicken breasts, pounding them with the flat side of the mallet to between 1/4" and 1/8" thick. I then put two slices of ham and one slice of swiss cheese on the flattened chicken and wrapped the edges of the chicken to the top, pinning in place with water soaked toothpicks. I sprinkled the top with kosher salt and garlic powder and set them aside while I went out to warm up the Large. After the temp was up to 350°, I threw on some soaked apple wood, put the inverted foil-lined plate setter on, and put the grill on top. I put the chicken on with the seams up and went in to prepare the rest of the meal. I had planned on about 45 minutes to 1 hr at 350, but I went out to check and the temp had climbed to about 425. I got the temp down to 375, but the presentation was off because I had to unroll the breasts to check for doneness. The outsides had a nice brown smoke crust, but the insides were still not done. Thanks to the forgiving nature of the Egg, they turned out great. I think that this is a keeper with a few modifications. One, I will keep a closer eye on the temp, and two, I would add another piece of swiss. [p]Cheers,
Chipper

Comments