Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bringing up to temp

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had several conflicting opinions re: bringing the BGE up to temp. Some have said to bring up super hot, then damper it down until it drops to desired temp. Others have said bring it to desired temp and immediately start closing dampers until it settles to desired temp. Is there a proper technique? Thanks GD

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Georgia Dawg,
    Depends on what temp you are wanting to cook at...If you want to do a lo N slo 225° - 250° and you get up to 400° your gonna have a long wait for it to get back down to the lower 200`s....So in that case you would want to sneak up on your temp....It you was wantin to cook at say 350° - 400° you can overshoot that, giving you a cleaner burning fire once it drops back down...you will soon learn that there is "NO" proper technique for almost anything related to the egg...merely personal preferences in achieving the same end result.....try others suggestions and decide for yourself what you prefer....[p]Wess

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Georgia Dawg,[p]
    To each is own. After time, you will now how to regulate your fire based on your own technique.[p]I first make sure that I have a good starting fire (some light multiple locations), then they set there damper/vents at some starting point.[p]It takes some to learn how to control/regulate and find out what works out for you, what you are cooking, amount of wood/smoke desired, etc.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Georgia Dawg,
    no one that has ever used one will tell you to get it super hot then damper it down.[p]please don't tell me it was your dealer....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Not the dealer.....but it was a BGE owner.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    Georgia Dawg,
    the only time i can think that you would want to "bring up super hot, then damper it down until it drops to desired temp" is when cooking a steak with a sear first and then final roast later. do a search for the trex method on this, its one of the better ways to cook a steak on the egg. the rest of the time you want to bring it up slowly to temp and not overshoot the temp as its harder to get temps back down.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Georgia Dawg,[p]At first I had trouble keeping my fire going (for whatever reason) so I always over shot my target temperature just a "tad", then let it come back down.[p]I've gained a little experience both with arranging my lump and better lighting techniques so I don't have the same trouble anymore. I am now always approaching my target temperature on the way up, and I start closing dampers down about 50° below it. This has been working great, and I don't waste near as much lump.[p]Good luck
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Georgia Dawg,
    perhaps they meant you want to get a good CLEAN burning fire?
    you really won't enjoy waiting for temps to come down if you get too hot for too long. but you D want your fire going (at desired temp) for long enough to have clear clean smoke

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante