Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just purchased a large Big Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone want to help me but it together?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Lost in Utah,[p]Welcome to the egg world...
    When you have questions or suggestions jump in and post[p]What part of Utah are you in?[p]Kent

• Grandpas Grub,[p]How am I suppost to know, I'm lost.[p]Ha ha only kidding Salt Lake City.[p]The egg is in the box in my CRV. Got it during lunch. I called my son-in-law and asked him to meet me at the house after work to help me unload it. It's nice to know that the good for nothing is good for something. Ha Ha only kidding again he is a good kid.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Lost in Utah,
    Open it up and find the dvd that it comes with...grab a cold one and WATCH the DVD....it will help you more than you can imagine...then come here for any other questions..[p]Wess

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Lost in Utah, The only advice I can give is follow the instructions in the book and watch the DVD. Biggest thing for new Eggers is to be sure you have even pressure all around on the dome when you tighten the bands! Worse case is you fix it later, but this is a life time of good eating and fun, so TAKE YOUR TIME. No big air leaks = no burned gasket. Your gonna love it! We cook on it almost everyday and tonight is Pizza night.
    Mike in Round Rock, Texas

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]We are having a bit of a cold/cool snap out here. Snow in the mountains and funnel cloud over Utah Lake.[p]First decient amount of rain all summer, yesterday. Cooked a dutch oven pot roast and it was nice playing with the egg.[p]Lost in Utah... I am a little suprised the dealer didn't assemble the egg for you. Follow the advice given you will be glad you did.[p]We too cook almost every day on ours. If we are not cooking we are eating left overs from the egg.[p]Kent
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Speaking of pizza, whatever happened to that Papa Murphys one?
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Jeeves, The Pappa Murphy's was outstanding and this is the way we will go with most of our pizza. Give it a try. For one guy, get a medium and have fun!
    Mike[p]

• Grandpas Grub,[p]Hi neighbor…Taylorville, I believe I was lost there once. The dealer gave me a killer deal if I took it in the box.
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Grandpas Grub, We have had a wonderful summer of rain. Very unusual for us and not really that hot. 100 degrees or more and dry is usual, we have not seen too much of that this year and are very thakful. Got any pics of the dutch oven pit roast?

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]We live in a high desert so there is not much summer rain. It has been a long hot summer here. One day in the high 90's and the next in the 50's & snow in the mountains. That makes for great snow skiing & winter camping, which I happily leave to the kids now. My grown kids like going up and making snow caves and camp overnight. This old fart loves staying home and turning up the heat.[p]My plan was to cook potroast for 2 hours, but to get it tender it ended up takin just under 6 hours. Well worth the wait but people waiting were getting pretty hungry.[p]The looks were great and the end product with vegitables & gravy was fantastic.[p]We will do another sometime next week and I will take some pictures then.[p]Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Lost in Utah,[p]What part of town are you in... I am off of 5400 S. 2200 W.[p]What did you end up getting with your large and how much?[p]I ended up paying just over $1,100 for my large in the next and some standard accessories. I am happy with what I got and not complaing about the price. I will shop for the next one though. I am probably going to get a med or possibly a small - not sure yet.[p]Get your son-in-law home and get that thing put together so you can get cooking.[p]Kent
  • EagerEgger,
    My next door neighbor lives in Round Rock(Donnie Devalcourt)Works for Dell.
    Joe
    Meridian,Ms

• My bad.My neighbors son:)
    Joe

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Grandpas Grub, OK, just get us some pictures and keep the info coming!
    Mike

• Grandpas Grub,[p]
    I sent you an email. I don't want to start a price war on the forum![p]

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Lost in Utah,[p]Thank you, got the email. They have a pretty good price on lump for this area.[p]Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Info is easy, I would have to do a autopsy for pictures, well maybe it is even past that point by now.[p]I just grabbed an old dutch oven cook I did years ago.[p]Grandpas Grub Rocky Mountain Pot Roast…[p]Got the egg stabilized at 300° grid (simmer temp here)
    Good size roast.
    S&P[p]I put the oven on direct on coals with some oil in the bottom. When hot browned/light sear the roast on all sides. 3 to 4 minutes for each end. No trimming of the roast.[p]Pulled meat and put in onions, carrots, potatoes. Stirred until onions started to become a little clear about 3 to 5 minutes.
    Added 2T tyme, 2T sugar 3 clove minced garlic. 2 bay leaves (not this time but sometimes 1T chili powder )
    Stirred 30 seconds
    Added ½ c of chicken broth & ½ c of beef broth.
    I got this mix good and warm.
    Moved oven to grid level (or plate setter if that is what you use).
    Put meat on top of the veggies and put another ½ c of chicken & beef broth.
    I added a small amount of hickory chips to the lump.
    No lid on oven
    At 2 hours I turned the roast over and expected to cook another 2 hours
    The meat was still a bit tough so I decided to let it cook until it was fork tender didn’t even bother with internal meat temps.[p]That a total of just under 6 hours. I kept the grid temp at 300° for the entire cook.[p]Pulled the meat and veggies and moved the oven back to coals added corn starch and thickened up liquid for gravy.[p]The meal was great. Sandwiches today were wonderful.

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Lost in Utah,
    Hey ....congrats !!
    You will love your Egg!
    Watch that DVD and that will help you.
    FYI. I have support info on my website, some that is downloadable and since you are looking for info you may want to check there for more good "egg things" .
    link below for you. [p](Link is supplied in compliance with this forum's policies and rules - info request)

[ul][li]Egg Stuff in General at FMBBQS[/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Lost in Utah,
    I just got mine 10 days ago.If you are using the nest put it together first and put the bottom in it then proceed with the instructions.Otherwise you have to try to get the whole thing into the nest,mission impossible if you are working alone like I was.Get it together and get to cooking,it's the best.I've used mine every day since I got it.
    Jim

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Jim Nelson,
    If you really need to lift an entire egg into / off the nest or table .. or in and out of the car or truck. I recommend the Potlifter. We use these every day and they save you a ton of hassle. If done properly, you can also lift the egg while IN the nest but you have to be very careful.

[ul][li]Potlifter [/ul]
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.