Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how soon after frost can i use the egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
we're getting fairly heavy frosts here in calgary and i was wondering if heating up the egg on a cold morning risks cracking the ceramic - does anyone have any experience

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    jon,
    before during and after.[p]no issue cooking in the cold.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jon,
    I've had my medium egg for nearly 10 years in GA mountains, and have cooked when outside temp was 104* and in the teens with snow and ice on egg. It doesn't care, but the chef does.....don't worry about the egg and have a great winter cooking.

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    jon,
    no worries buddy been using mine in negative 38 here in northern new brunswick and did pizza at 450 no problem!! you will love it for winter cooking!
    mike

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    jon,
    If I had not owned an Egg the family would have not enjoyed any meals that needed to be cooked.Four years ago Del Marva had an ice storm and power lines were down for two weeks.Every thing in sight was covered in a quarter inch of ice including the egg.It was a life saver for sure.If you can brave any element the egg will be at your side.Don't worry.Needless to say I was in a remote area and the crews could not gain access to the back roads to make any repairs.

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    jon,Whenever you get ready.

• Little Steven
    Options
    jon,[p] It's 30 degrees in TO. I guess that's the cost of living in God's country.
    I've been egging for over ten years now and never had an issue with the gaskets freezing shut, though some here have. If that happens, it,s good to have a fire starter cube handy to drop in through the top. Other than that I've used them to -34. (I guess that,s balmy for you guys)[p]Enjoy,[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p] Thought you got lost moose hunting. Did you get any?[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    jon,
    Amen to all those below: it ain't the Egg that minds the cold, it's the cook! One thing I learned in Colorado is to put a piece of aluminum foil on the gasket when I shut down - that was if there's enough snow to melt and it's cold enough to freeze (and thus freeze the dome shut), you can pry the dome off the foil without ruining the felt gasket.[p]HTH
    Ken

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    BlueSmoke, I use freezer paper. JCA