Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fifth Attempt At Brisket

Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When smoking a brisket, I usually have a platesetter making it an indirect cook. I've heard a lot about Mollyshark's brisket using a direct method. Does anyone have Mollyshark's method...and if so, how did it turn out? What is the difference between using a platesetter versus not using one i.e. does one method come out drier than the other?[p]Thanks for the great help.

Comments

• Boxerpapa,[p]Mine did...come out dryer. I did one without a plate setter, and it was really a failure. I haven't done one with my new plate setter yet though, so it could have been just my general lack of skill...LOL. Guess I'll do another one soon.
  • Boxerpapa,
    I don't think Molly's is indirect but I could be wrong. I would wrap at some point. You might lose some bark but a more tender and juicy brisket should be the result.
    Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    I read a previous post of yours where you wrap it at about 150 degrees? Could this be the same method as doing 3-1-1 ribs and remove the foil at around 185 degrees assuming I will pull off at 190 degrees, or leave the foil on until I pull the whole brisket?[p]Thanks again

• Boxerpapa,[p]After the Omaha Fest [and after taking MShark's brisket class], I ventured into the Long, Lo-'n-Slo cook... mine was 19 hours indirect [kept the drip pan going with apple cider... don't let it go dry!], held the temp to 225F, then wrapped the brisket in double foil -- in the cooler...[p]It was all I expected... We had nearly 30 over that night, and everyone appropriately Ooohed and Aaaahed...[p]Go-Pher It![p]~ Broc[p]
  • Boxerpapa,
    I'll have to get my notes out, It was 160 last time. I pulled at 200 last time. I guess you could pull at 190 and cook longer. I don't do 3-1-1.[p]
    Mike

• Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,
    Thanks for the response. I'm trying to piece all these methods together then come up with my version of brisket. I usually cook indirect at about 240 until an internal temp. of 200, but wanted to try pulling off earlier. What temperature did/do you pull your brisket off?[p]Thank you

• Boxerpapa,[p]190[p]Have a good'un![p]