Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question about spare ribs that are cooking now ..

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,[p]I am in the middle of a slow & low cook of spare ribs. I am following the directions on the "playing with fire and smoke" page to a T. The author of the spare rib (not baby back rib) recipe said to trim the "skirt" away from the ribs and cook separately, which I did.[p]My question is, what do I do with the skirt of each rack when it is done cooking? Is it eaten right along side with the ribs, or should I use it for something else? If you do eat it the same, what was the purpose of removing it before cooking? I really appreciate any help. Thanks.[p]Hub

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Hub,[p]I am doing 2 sets of spares today myself for the Alabama-Georgia game. [p]I St. Louis trim the spares, then cook the trimmings at the same time as the ribs. the usually finish a couple hours before the ribs, so I either eat them as a "cook's snack" or, as I am doing today, using them as filler for some ABT's to munch on after the half. I'll cut up the spare trimmings, put them into the ABT's, and cook the turds on the medium while the spares are finishing up on the large.[p]You can also use them almost like pulled pork and make sammiches...use the meat in some BBQ beans.....basically whatever your heart desires.[p]Good luck.
  • Hub,[p]Cook them along with the ribs and eat them quickly before anyone knows what they are and that they are there.[p]Luck you!!! Follow Fidel's comments.[p]Kent[p]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hub,[p]The skirt is removed to get the most even cooking on the ribs. Its a real nice touch to insure each rib is the same as the others.[p]Watch the skirt for over cooking, if you are doing it with the ribs. Being a smallish piece of meat, it will likely be done before the ribs.[p]You can save the skirts and any other trimmings from spares, and cook them low and slow by themselves. They finish quicker, and taste just as good. Recently, I added some rib trimming chunks to vodka sauce for pasta, and the meal was quite satisfying.[p]gdenby

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Hub,
    Not an answer, but I always leave the meat on. I like it. On a 5 hour cook it all comes out cooked the same. Maybe it's different for a competition. Why cut off a piece of meat thats perfectly fine. Unless for looks, it makes no sense to me. IMHO

• HungryMan,[p]Only for the chef's treat before bringing in the ribs.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    DynaGreaseball,
    That makes sense. My other favorite part is the thin end of the ribs. I feel likw I get ripped off when I get the 4 bones with no meat.

• HungryMan,[p]And I think I'm the only one (at least around here) that likes those little "knuckles" of gristle that ya find out on the flap. I always say it's not suitable for serving. And I volunteer to dispose of it before I bring dinner inside. :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Hub,[p]Every response so far is correct. [p]In my write-up I said the skirt and the trim are good snacks or can be chopped later for beans etc. Cooked separately, the skirt (flap) is usually tender in about 3 hours. Perfect timing for a cooks snack. LOL I sort of baby the strip because it is my favorite part. [p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery